kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)

More
29 Dec 2008 02:48 #255214 by image
hi all,

hope the holiday season is treating you well.

mine has been great, flying by though...

my problem is thus: my little bro in his eagerness to help with my ltd project decided (while i was out getting dinner) that it would be far easier to polish the engine covers if they were off the bike!:ohmy:

i am now stuck with a bike that i can't even test run or tune let alone go on the week-long planned ride next weekend.:unsure:

i have sourced the left side cover gasket and the small round one on the right locally, but need the main sump one for the right.

is there anywhere in Australia i'm not aware of that could get me the parts in time? the ones i have coming were sourced directly through Kawasaki, sure pays to become mates with guys that work there!

is there somewhere in the world wide of wonders that could express me the necessary gasket in time? awesome timing i know...

many thanks in advance.

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2008 04:28 #255215 by quader98
Replied by quader98 on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
try z1 ent.jeff might be able to help you out

z1enterprises.com/default.aspx

Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2

More
29 Dec 2008 06:50 #255232 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
How about Allen @ Zpower in Australia. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
29 Dec 2008 07:18 #255235 by image
Replied by image on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
matters of cost and urgency both come into play...most things i've ordered within Oz seem to take the same if not longer amount of time as those ordered from overseas. As much as I'd prefer to support locals, still comes down to the almighty dollar in some cases, of which this is one -

Zpower full gasket kit listed at $229AUD, plus ? shipping.

Cheryll at Z1 enterprises has been extremely helpful and is sending me a full gasket kit, plus an additional spare clutch cover gasket, for what converts to roughly $153AUD, including express shipping.

That said, I think I'll get in touch with Allen in the morning to see how much a single gasket will set me back, can't seem to find them listed separately.

Many thanks to all for the help and advice, now it's time to cross our fingers and hope I can get this bike back together in time!

'84 Suzuki GR650

More
29 Dec 2008 08:19 #255240 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
Just a thought here... any chance you can make your own gaskets from blank gasket material? Especially if you can reassemble the old gaskets to identify holes and channels. :unsure:

I had to make one for the clutch cover and one for the ignition cover. Not as clean as a die cut gasket but still good after 3 seasons. B)

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
29 Dec 2008 12:56 #255265 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
Like Bill and others I'm sure, I have made my own gaskets from time to time. It's handy to have a roll of gasket paper. Heck, if I needed a gasket for a ride tomorrow, I would use a cereal box for the material.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
29 Dec 2008 13:11 #255266 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
OKC_Kent wrote:

Like Bill and others I'm sure, I have made my own gaskets from time to time.

+1000

After the cyclinder base gasket abruptly failed after my last rebuild, I made a new one out of gasket material from Pep Boys. I also made gaskets for the valve cover from it. It has held up very well.

The paper was made by "Interface solutions" and I think it had N8904 on the back of it.

You should be able to use any good vulcanized fiber material (rubbery paper) with decent resistance to oil, I think .032" thickness is about right. Most auto parts stores will have this.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Dec 2008 13:53 #255273 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
A neat trick for making your own gaskets is to scan the cover surface (assuming the part is small enough to set on a flat bed scanner). I've done that for several small gaskets (cam chain tensioner, stator cover, points cover, etc.) and it works really well. Just scan the surface of the cover, print it at actual size on heavy stock paper, cut it out carefully and use that as a template for cutting your new gasket.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
29 Dec 2008 13:59 #255275 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
anarki650, that's way past cool. B)

I guess that if the part was too big for the scanner that a second scan could be done of the missing part and then match them up. Might not be prefect but good enough to spot that one missing oil passage hole that saves the engine. ;)

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
29 Dec 2008 16:50 #255289 by image
Replied by image on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
wow, cheers for the ideas guys, especially the scanner one (?!) i never would've thought of that. i've made my own from time to time as well, mostly for cars though. i guess i'm just a bit of a perfectionist at times. :(

as an aside, i called the guys at zpower, they wouldn't separate the single gasket, only come in the full kit.

at least now i know i've got a solution no matter what happens! :D

Many thanks. *tips hat*

'84 Suzuki GR650

More
29 Dec 2008 22:21 #255321 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750-4 gaskets *urgent* (to me anyways)
image wrote:

wow, cheers for the ideas guys, especially the scanner one (?!) i never would've thought of that. i've made my own from time to time as well, mostly for cars though. i guess i'm just a bit of a perfectionist at times. :(

as an aside, i called the guys at zpower, they wouldn't separate the single gasket, only come in the full kit.

at least now i know i've got a solution no matter what happens! :D

Many thanks. *tips hat*

You can make a low-tech scanner by taking the cover and rubbing grease or heavy oil on the lip and pressing it against cardboard then inking the outline of the oil print before it spreads. You can pen trace the outside edge directly and use the print method to get the inner edge.

1979 KZ-750 Twin