1976 KZ900: Dynamo Stator Cover Oil????

More
24 Dec 2008 10:06 #254482 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1976 KZ900: Dynamo Stator Cover Oil????
When I replaced the stator on my 82 GPZ1100 B2 a few years after I bought it, I asked at the dealer before doing the work and was told to lean it to the right and I'd have no problem. I did and was able to replace the stator with little to none oil leak.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Dec 2008 10:12 - 24 Dec 2008 10:16 #254483 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 1976 KZ900: Dynamo Stator Cover Oil????
Patton: Yup, same with my manuals... Oneof the reasons I posted thus insuring I didn;t screw something up or was looking at this all wrong...

Neither FSM otherwise mentions oil in the dynamo area or references anything about outcoming oil upon removing the engine dynamo cover.

Kawi Shop manual Oil Flow Chart...

And based off the OEM images above, I can't see where this Dynamo cover wouldn't have a considerable amount of oil... :S :huh: :dry: :blink: :woohoo:

In review of some other postings, how the hell where these cases dry is beyond me... I can understand KZ650 vs 900/1000 or KZ vs GPZ series... but some of the psoting depicted very lttile to no opil in them... :huh:

Ah well, thanks for the replies guys for now I feel a little more confident I didn't forget soemthing during the build out...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2008 10:16 by Old Man Rock.

More
24 Dec 2008 10:51 #254489 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 1976 KZ900: Dynamo Stator Cover Oil????
I wouldn't normally have bothered answering this post but it contains stuff that will get folks confused so let me chip my 2 cents in. FIRST, there ain't no oil seal on the crank on this end of the engine. Oil will fill the stator cover but not all that much unless you lay the bike over on that side (like in a pickup) OR have it on its side stand. The stator cover should have had the penetration for the grommet up on top rather than the lower pocket where it is located on all KZs. If you carry your KZ in the back of a pickup on its side, put the stator up. Next issue is HOW MUCH oil... guess if you had it on side stand a long time and pulled the cover, you would get between a pint and quart on the ground. This is normal. If you have it on side stand, you will get less but it will still be enough to make a mess as oil tends to fill that pocket towards the bottom rear of the cover. The MAIN reason discussion of oil in this area comes up is that the plug leaks. It is poorly located and should have come out the top of the cover towards the rear not in that pocket on the bottom. If you are engine building, make sure you use a new grommet with a silicon seal or other sealing goop of your choice. I generally use Permatex hi-temp copper because that stuff works for lots of small jobs and I generally have a tube or two on hand. You won't find an oil seal on that end of the crank but will on the other in the outer part of the inner points cover. That is why you don't get oil in the points cover but get it in the stator cover. Keith1 has already explained things well enough but I wanted to toss this in for emphasis. To all, Merry Christmas and have a blessed and peaceful New Year!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Dec 2008 11:21 #254495 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 1976 KZ900: Dynamo Stator Cover Oil????
Yup.... there ain't no oil seal on the crank on this end of the engine. OR have it on its side stand.

The stator cover should have had the penetration for the grommet up on top rather than the lower pocket where it is located on all KZs.

Yup... As mentioned, grommet (BTW, I replaced with new) is not the issue...

Next issue is HOW MUCH oil... guess if you had it on side stand a long time and pulled the cover, you would get between a pint and quart on the ground. This is normal.

This is what I was looking for.... Thanks!

Another point this discussion brought to mind (above paragraph) is the conversion, front and rear tires are 1" vs. OEM front 18", rear 19". The original side kick stand was too long (bike sat too stright up, tobble over too easy)
so I had cut ~ 2" off the bottom and re-welded another ground plate.

All in all, it's lean angle may be a little more than normal which would account for the oil in this casing as well...

Sweet, thanks guys!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az