1982 KZ750 M1 Csr

More
26 Dec 2008 20:47 #254807 by mpnoffi
Replied by mpnoffi on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
Ok guys. The Starter clutch looks great. The bolts are in great shape and have not sheared or backed out. I had hoped that this would be my problem but that's not the case. I've just received my Kawasaki service manual and it's not the right one, so I'm a little leary of pulling everything apart until I get the right one. One, thing, I've noticed though is that I can freely spin the center bolt behind the ignition cover, but it is not spinning the crank shaft ie... the pistons and the rotor shaft is not moving. Am I retarded? Or is this supposed to tell me something? Thanks for any input.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2008 21:37 #254816 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
The crank shaft with the sparkplugs removed should be turned with the 17MM bolt(the center bolt holds the ignition advancer to the crankshaft). Try some PB blaster shot down the sparkplugs holes for a few days. Hopefully the rings will loosen up(if that's why it seized).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
26 Dec 2008 21:42 #254817 by mpnoffi
Thanks for the fast reply. When I turn the 17mm bolt that hold the ignition advancer to the crankshaft, the pistons do not move nor does the other end of the crankshaft ( the dynamo shaft). Any ideas? thanks
Mike

More
27 Dec 2008 06:57 - 27 Dec 2008 11:39 #254855 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
If the 17mm nut is turning, then I assume the timing advancer is turning also?

IIRC, that nut locks to the timing advancer, and the timing advancer is keyed to the crank with a roll pin. So either the two tabs on the nut or the roll pin has broken, usually it's the roll pin.

If you can turn the small center bolt and nothing else moves, then it is either stripped or broken.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 27 Dec 2008 11:39 by steell.

More
27 Dec 2008 07:33 #254864 by mpnoffi
Thanks Steell. Will I be able to find those parts? I probably stripped or broke them turning on it. I probably just need to dive in to tearing it down to locate the lock problem. I've had PB blaster in it for a week now and no luck turning the crank. I have the service manual now so hehere we go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

More
27 Dec 2008 11:32 #254927 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
Exciting times! I remember being where you are with this bike just a few years ago. I’ll give you an opinion to consider, but will also defer to some of the more experienced posters here.
If the engine really is seized you have two options depending on what your plans are for the bike.
The first is to do just what you have to in order to make the bike run, which means pulling the head and cylinders doing some clean up and reassembling. I can almost guarantee that this will take longer and be more painful that the recommended option, which is;
To remove the engine, get it on the workbench and go through each section, crank, pistons, cylinder, head, carbs, exhaust, etc, and inspect, repair and reassemble as you go. With the head off you will probably have to use a hammer and a piece of wood that fits in the cylinder and beat the pistons down, while a friend lifts the cylinders up. Any engine I have seen that has been seized was caused by the steel rings rusting to the steel cylinder walls so it will need a good cleaning and honing. Again, I could be wrong, this is just my experience.
If the engine is in this shape, the carbs are going to need help as well. You can do the same thing, disassemble them into four coffee cans or on to four paper plates so the parts don’t get lost or mixed up. Or just send the carb assembly to wiredgeorge who does great work.
Sounds like a lot I know, but it is fun and by going through the engine piece by piece you will learn a lot and be able to deal with any little roadside emergencies that pop up because you will know your bike so well.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
27 Dec 2008 11:44 - 27 Dec 2008 11:50 #254930 by steell
The long bolt in the bottom left side, number 92001, is the small bolt in the center of the timing advancer, the hex under it, number 92022, is just a nut like hex that is to be used to turn the crank. I probably have spares.

The easiest option for you would be to buy the 82 KZ750M motor that's in my 79, but I'm not sure I would sell it :)

That's the second time I've posted that pic in there, don't know why it changed :(

Too bad Memphis TN is such a haul from here (Eaton IN), I think I have one good spare motor left. Oversize pistons and rings are still around though, they show up on eBay fairly often, and I think a couple of members have links to good sources they've posted in the past.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 27 Dec 2008 11:50 by steell.

More
27 Dec 2008 11:52 #254931 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
Hmmmm, taking offers? ;-)

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

More
27 Dec 2008 12:12 #254933 by steell
CSRchopper wrote:

Hmmmm, taking offers? ;-)

Only if you want to buy all my 750 twin stuff, parts and bikes :D

You'd need a pickup truck and a trailer to haul everything :)

KD9JUR

More
04 Jan 2009 13:09 #256152 by mpnoffi
Ok guys. Your advice has been most helpful so far. Here's another question and an update. I'll post pics later today. I have everything off down to the cylinder and surprisingly, it's VERY clean and no wear to be found until you get down to the pistons. The right side is very rustly and was stuck. In pulling the cylinders off, I have it free except one thing. The cam chain tensioner is jamed in the opening in the middle of the cylinder and I'm 1/4 of an inch away from getting it off. I've checked back over and over in the manual to see if I was supposed to position that little sprocket differently, but I find nothing. Any one else run into this?
thanks
Mike

More
05 Jan 2009 17:18 #256334 by mpnoffi
anyone? i'm really stuck here!

More
26 Jul 2015 08:06 #682794 by CountryXJer
Replied by CountryXJer on topic 1982 KZ750 M1 Csr
:ohmy: Yikes! Looks like this one came to an abrupt end! How did the job turn out?

1982 KZ750M CSR 6040 on the clock
USN retired
Jack of all trades
Single