KZ650 Cam Timing Instructions and Question

More
11 Dec 2008 16:13 #252054 by boojr
Have a 1979 KZ650 SR. Just purchased it and not sure on history. Ran faily well, drove it 2 miles home.

Nonetheless, am doing a tune-up.

Adjusted valve clearance by marking cam chain and removing tension wheel, and doing one cam at a time.

Maintained tension on cam chain while working. However, was looking at cams and wanted to check cam timing to be sure.

Anyhow, i think there may be a little problem.

When I set the 1,4 T to the tick mark, the cam arrows are not lined up with the cylinder head. The intake is pointing slightly upward, and exhaust is slighlty down.

When I move to the 1,4 F mark, the arrows are match up pretty well with the clinder head.

Is this out of time?

If so, how do you check timing properly? The only marks on the cams are 2 arrows and a slanted line on each with EX next to them.

Also, how are the arrows to align with cylinder head? Are the uppose to be directly parallel with the crankcase? Meaning, if you slide a straight-edge along the case where the gasket sets, it should strike the arrow on the camshaft and be directly parallel to it?

Maybe I knocked it off a tooth while pulling the cams. Removed one at a time and held tension on the chain. Just need to be sure it lines up properly.

Dealer told me to look for an upside ZX.. on the exhaust cam, don't seet it. Working from right side of bike. All i see is 2 pointing arrows on each cam and a slashed like with an ex on both cams.

Any help would be appreciated.

74 XL250
78 KZ400B1
79 KZ650SR
84 V65 Sabre
06 VMAX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2008 16:35 #252057 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic KZ650 Cam Timing Instructions and Question
Here are scans of the two pages in my clymer's that tell how to reinstall cams...hope this helps!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
11 Dec 2008 16:36 #252058 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic KZ650 Cam Timing Instructions and Question
If you want me to email you the full sized pics so you can read them better just shoot me an email, axton_kahler@yahoo.com.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
11 Dec 2008 21:24 #252137 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic KZ650 Cam Timing Instructions and Question
I think it skipped a tooth. With the T lined up the arrow should be pointing at the top of the cylinders. I've had my head off several times and I'm sure it skipped a tooth.

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.