Vance and Hines exhaust future

More
12 Dec 2008 05:33 - 12 Dec 2008 05:34 #252170 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
EricHa wrote:

... If you're going to lower your bike very much, you have to at least consider a sidewinder/pro pipe.

On the Z1 with the Yoshi pipes, lowering the front end by raising the fork tubes an inch higher in the clamps did not create much of a clearance issue, either ground or wheel/fender with hard front braking.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Dec 2008 05:34 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2008 06:54 #252179 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
Jeff, IF you have pipes made, keep in mind that MANY owners originally had 4 into 2 pipes. The only sources for 4 into 2 have turn out mufflers which I doubt most folks enjoy looking at. I sure don't. If you get pipes made, a 4 into 2 with megaphone mufflers would really be nice... similar to the OEM stuff on the later KZ1000s in chrome but I bet BLACK would also be a good seller. If you had pipes made up, I bet a 4 into 4 replica pipe would also sell if you could get the price within reason.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Dec 2008 07:07 #252336 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
This place has some interesting possibilites -

www.klasmo-bikes.de/land.php?auswahl=mod...land1=USA&kunden_id=

I am particularly interested in the Cobra Duplex #710709Z, though I wonder how much shipping will be. They sell several systems that I think are not available in the US by other means, which would give them, imo, extra bling points for exclusivity.
By the way, whoever did ther English translation needs further study, so be warned - you will have to use some creative interp. of your own.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Dec 2008 07:11 #252337 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
The 4-2 pipes would be a strong consideration.

There are some 4-2 pipes avaialble today, but they are either very expense (like the ZeCross system we sell), or too crappy (like MAC).

The key challenge is getting them made at a price point we all can live with. Most of the manufacturers require runs of 50 or more pipes at a time.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
13 Dec 2008 07:19 #252340 by Jeff.Saunders
TexasKZ wrote:

I am particularly interested in the Cobra Duplex #710709Z, though I wonder how much shipping will be. They sell several systems that I think are not available in the US by other means, which would give them, imo, extra bling points for exclusivity.
By the way, whoever did ther English translation needs further study, so be warned - you will have to use some creative interp. of your own.

The problem with importing pipes from overseas is you can run into issues with US Customs and DOT requirements. If you import a pipe for a bike later than 1977, the pipes MUST adhere to DOT/EPA standards. If US Customs determines a pipe does not conform, it may get sent back or destroyed. Because of this issue, we've avoided importing a couple of the pipes from Japan.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• Mcdroid
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
13 Dec 2008 07:40 #252343 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

The problem with importing pipes from overseas is you can run into issues with US Customs and DOT requirements. If you import a pipe for a bike later than 1977, the pipes MUST adhere to DOT/EPA standards. If US Customs determines a pipe does not conform, it may get sent back or destroyed. Because of this issue, we've avoided importing a couple of the pipes from Japan.

So, in theory, if you import a pipe for a Z1B and it not so coincidently also fits 1977-80 KZ1000B models, the pipe might slip by US Customs?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Dec 2008 07:40 #252344 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
just tell em they help motorcycles here get down to 11 miles to the gallon and the u.s will import em for us..in fact they will give us employee discount programsJeff.Saunders wrote:

TexasKZ wrote:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 Dec 2008 09:02 - 13 Dec 2008 09:03 #252361 by Jeff.Saunders
Mcdroid wrote:

Jeff.Saunders wrote:

So, in theory, if you import a pipe for a Z1B and it not so coincidently also fits 1977-80 KZ1000B models, the pipe might slip by US Customs?

If the pipe is imported as for a Z1, KZ900 or 1977 KZ1000, you'd be OK. Import it for a 1973-1980 Kawasaki 900/1000 and you won't be.

With any import, your shipper should be including a manifest with all this information on. With individuals importing today, US Customs doesn't force you file detailed import documentation unless you go over $2,000 value - although a number of shipping companies do require a detailed contents description regardless. However, the package may still be inspected and subjected to US Customs import laws.

Historically, packages through the Post Office have not required so much detail - however, many of the laws today around the Postal Services import/export processes will be changing to level the playing field for all shipping entities regardless of whether they are government based or privately owned.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 13 Dec 2008 09:03 by Jeff.Saunders.

More
13 Dec 2008 16:26 #252428 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
Thanks Jeff,
Since I have a 1980 vintage bike, I guess I'll just forget that idea and start collecting some pvc or old clay drain pipes that will keep the EPA/DOT Nazis happy.
:S

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
14 Dec 2008 07:49 #252532 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
TexasKZ wrote:

Thanks Jeff,
Since I have a 1980 vintage bike, I guess I'll just forget that idea and start collecting some pvc or old clay drain pipes that will keep the EPA/DOT Nazis happy.
:S

Unless something from an older bike fits. ;)

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
14 Dec 2008 09:55 #252548 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
I would not pick a new V&H out of a ditch .Junk
Vintage Yoshi is the only option

More
14 Dec 2008 10:14 - 28 Dec 2008 17:08 #252549 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Vance and Hines exhaust future
B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2008 17:08 by PLUMMEN.