billet manual cam chain tensioner

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Dec 2008 09:14 #251261 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic billet manual cam chain tensioner
Thanks for your input Patton.
It certainly doesn’t hurt to fallow the manual.
I think the most important part, as u pointed out is to make sure u only go forward on the crank rotation.
I just cant see how the chain could be tighter at 1 spot in the rotation than another?
At any rate, it is always safer to follow the manual whenever in doubt.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2008 10:04 #251272 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic billet manual cam chain tensioner
mark1122 wrote:

... cant see how the chain could be tighter at 1 spot in the rotation than another?....

Although uncertain, am thinking front camchain run is tightest when the crankshaft camchain sprocket is pulling hardest on the camchain, and therefore the rear camchain run would then be in its least tight (most slack) position.

Haven't thought this completely through, but presupposing that T mark alignment positions cams where crankshaft camchain sprocket pulls hardest on the camchain, whereby the front run is tightest and rear run is at its least tight (most slack) position.

Interesting that the original Z1 Owners Manual says nothing about T mark alignment. It just says loosen tensioner's locknut and bolt, then kick engine over a few times "so that slack is taken up evenly on all parts of chain," then tighten the bolt and locknut.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Dec 2008 15:21 #251342 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic billet manual cam chain tensioner
I have found a few things in the z1 to kz manual that differ. maybe they changed it for good reason?
Thanks again.It's always good to see things through a dif set of eye's.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Dec 2008 16:36 #251353 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic billet manual cam chain tensioner
Am thinking most folks use the abbreviation FSM as generic reference to "Factory Service Manual" or "Factory Shop Manual" in referring to the official Kawasaki publications. Whereas an Owner's Manual is of course the small booklet usually accompanying a newly purchased motorcycle.

To clarify, both the Kawasaki "Motorcycle Shop Manual" (73Z1-76KZ900) and "Motorcycle Service Manual" (77-79KZ1000) do indeed specify aligning the T mark prior to tensioner adjustment. It is the original 1973 Z1 Owner's Manual that doesn't mention the T mark.

Am uncertain what Owner's Manuals for 1974 and later models say about routine tensioner adjusting. But would guess that sometime after 1973 the Owner's Manuals also began calling for T mark alignment. Regretably, my KZ900-B1 LTD Owner's Manual disappeared long ago.:( But happily, an original 1973 Z1 Owner's Manual is still in hand. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD