MTC or Wisco

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Nov 2008 04:53 #249893 by GregZ
MTC or Wisco was created by GregZ
Pros and cons on MTC or wisco 1015cc piston kits..Is one better than the other ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2008 06:22 #249904 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic MTC or Wisco
ive heard mtc uses a better alloy,but wiseco is more common ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Nov 2008 06:29 #249907 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic MTC or Wisco
Perhaps not applicable here, but wondering if there's still any debate with regard to cast versus forged pistons? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Nov 2008 06:35 #249909 by steell
Replied by steell on topic MTC or Wisco
Patton wrote:

Perhaps not applicable here, but wondering if there's still any debate with regard to cast versus forged pistons? :unsure:

There's a debate about everything where you have a choice!! Sheesh, I've heard there's even a debate on whether or not I'm good looking :P

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2008 06:43 - 29 Nov 2008 06:44 #249911 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic MTC or Wisco
steell wrote:

Patton wrote:

There's a debate about everything where you have a choice!! Sheesh, I've heard there's even a debate on whether or not I'm good looking :P

Guess I'm recalling the cast vs forged mostly with regard to stock sizes. Perhaps all the large bore aftermarket pistons are forged.

I've heard there's even a debate on whether or not I'm good looking -- pic? And we promise not to photochop - NOT! :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Nov 2008 06:44 by Patton.

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Nov 2008 07:05 #249912 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic MTC or Wisco
hey Plummen,,Check you email

More
29 Nov 2008 07:39 #249914 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic MTC or Wisco
Patton wrote:

if i had my choice, i would have forged....example
my marauder has a 4.6 with doulble overhead cams...stock with cast pistons....the same motor in a cobra mustang with a supercharger comes with forged pistons....i priced out a rebuild of my motor
for shits and giggles....the quotes i got all included forged pistons.....cast wasnt even an option....my mtc s going in my bike are forged....
gotta be a reason......

More
29 Nov 2008 08:39 #249925 by steell

Summary
To sum up, the cast piston is light and very dimensionally stable. It is found in high-rpm mass-produced engines that are not subject to modification or prone to detonation. The piston is however fairly brittle, and the cost of its manufacture has limited its availablity outside the OEM sources and applications. On the other hand, the forged piston is inherently heavy and less dimensionally stable. It is a good choice for engines in which detonation is probable, and its wide availability has made it the choice of engine modifiers. The special demands of these end users has given the forged piston its own niche in the powersports market. The next time someone tells you how superior one piston type is over another, tell them the truth. Because, as Paul Harvey likes to say, "Now you know the rest of the story." Hold the fries, please.

www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-pistons.html

Here at LCE, the philosophy is quit simple. The choice between using a cast piston or a forged piston is dictated by the application. If you plan on running normal octane gas and it falls into our “street” application, we recommend using the cast aluminum pistons. If you plan on using high octane, high compression or high boost for your application, then we recommend using a forged aluminum piston.

www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote41.htm

"Horses for courses", AKA "Use the right tool for the job".

Pictures of me??

I charge big bucks for those :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2008 11:12 #249935 by PLUMMEN
it depends on what you are trying to do with the motor,if its something running under a lot of boost like a blown,turbo or nitrous motor id say go with forged pistons.but if you really want to get crazy you can start talking about what the forging is made from was the billet cast or forged that the piston is punched out of?ive seen many stock pistons subjected to things well above and beyond what i would expect them to hold up to.its safe to say people have been doing things that far exceed what MOST people on here would ever subject either type of piston to for years and will continue to do so for years.

Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2008 16:22 #249961 by steell
Billet aluminum is used solely for extrusion, it's a step in the extrusion process (precursor actually). There is no such thing as Billet Aluminum whatever, no billet aluminum heads/blocks/cranks/anything. It's all a marketing gimmick that has made fools of a bunch of people. Walk into a machine shop and tell the machinist that you want something made out of "billet aluminum", his first thought is "Ka-ching! This guys an idiot so I can quadruple my normal price for aluminum by calling it "Billet"!" .

you can start talking about what the forging is made from was the billet cast or forged that the piston is punched out of?i

Don't know what to say about that one, can't parse it so it makes any sense :unsure:

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2008 17:06 #249971 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic MTC or Wisco
Both Wiseco and MTC are forged.

More
29 Nov 2008 17:52 #249973 by PLUMMEN
steell wrote:

Billet aluminum is used solely for extrusion, it's a step in the extrusion process (precursor actually). There is no such thing as Billet Aluminum whatever, no billet aluminum heads/blocks/cranks/anything. It's all a marketing gimmick that has made fools of a bunch of people. Walk into a machine shop and tell the machinist that you want something made out of "billet aluminum", his first thought is "Ka-ching! This guys an idiot so I can quadruple my normal price for aluminum by calling it "Billet"!" .

you can start talking about what the forging is made from was the billet cast or forged that the piston is punched out of?i

Don't know what to say about that one, can't parse it so it makes any sense :unsure:

im referring to the chunk of material the part is forged from to begin with,i guess you could call it an ingot.(spell check :laugh: )i guess most people consider 3 basic manufacturing processes.forging by beating something with a lot of force to make a desired shape,casting by pouring molten material into a mold to achieve desired shape or by carving chunks out of a solid piece of material (aka billet)which is actually weaker thana forging according to some but stronger according to others;)