Plugs

More
26 Nov 2008 04:02 #249390 by Ozzyzed
Plugs was created by Ozzyzed
My Zed is not on the road yet (legally anyway). I always start her once a week, either to keep her fresh or just for a listen!! It seems that the new plugs I put in are fouling up, smelling like fuel. Its happaned twice now. Question: Is this because I'm only running it for about two minutes and not getting her hot enough? Ive just had the engine done , carbs balanced etc so i feel there could be nothing else wrong. Any thoughts?

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2008 05:28 #249395 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Plugs
If your only running it for a few min, then its prob still on choke which is going to be way fat, and thus causing the plugs to foul.
You may want to get a fan and put it in front of the bike, let it warm up fully, also the short starts sre not so good on the oil either, its not getting warm enough to heat away the condensation inside,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
26 Nov 2008 06:34 #249409 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Plugs
The bad thing about running a bike once in awhile for a minute or two is that it causes condensation in the crankcase that never gets burned off. Quit starting the bike until you intend on operating it. You mentioned NOTHING about the state of tune... recheck valve clearances and check the coil voltages. We have an article on Coil Repowering on our website (see my sig) under wg's Tech Stuff Index. Get the bike back on the road and then ride it!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!