Won't start...

More
20 Nov 2008 05:19 #248466 by Boll Weevil
Won't start... was created by Boll Weevil
Before you dismiss this one hear me out please!

Bike set for about a month as I got super busy with work. Ran fine before the month's sitting.

Battery has been replaced as old one wouldn't hold charge. Fuel filter replaced, I'm sure there is fuel getting to the carbs. Recently replaced all the spark plug-to-coil wires, the old ones were old and decrepit. Put on a nice set of dyna wires. Each plug has been individually tested and is getting a nice juicy spark from the new wires.

I don't believe the fuel was sitting long enough to gunk anything up, I mean it is flowing properly through the new filter...

Perhaps the carbs got a little sticky while sitting?

Last year it sat quite a bit through a NY winter and would start fine whenever I'd bundle up and ride it, now it won't even think about turning over.

Thanks for some input, I'm nearing wit's end with these lovely afternoons we've been having in New Orleans.

1977 kz650c, pod filters, low bars, 130/90 tires, kerker 4-1 exhaust (stock!). Dyna ignition system forthcoming. Currently on the hunt for a cat sized sidecar system so the little beast can come along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2008 06:09 #248469 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Won't start...
Is the choke on? Also check the plugs you may have flooded it. If you did let the cylinders dry out for a bit and try again.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
20 Nov 2008 07:21 #248482 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Won't start...
If not already done, would double-check to assure the plug wires from coils are properly routed. As known, one coil fires the outside plugs, and the other coil fires the inside plugs. Sometimes the plug wires and/or coils and/or signal wires from ignition get inadvertently reversed during reassembly.

Also remember not to touch the throttle (leave it fully closed) when choke is on during first attempt to crank up a cold engine. The "enrichener circuit" in many carbs is designed to function only when the throttle slides are in the fully down position.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Nov 2008 10:50 #248517 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Won't start...
When sitting on the seat, the left coil ignites spark plugs 1 & 4 and the right coil 2 & 3 (reading left to right).

Check the primary wiring as this sometimes gets mixed up.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Nov 2008 17:11 #249041 by Boll Weevil
Replied by Boll Weevil on topic Won't start...
I'm still getting nothing here. Fat sparks, all the wires routed as they should be, fuel is flowing as it should, etc...

Any other ideas? The weather is lovely here and I need to go for a ride.

Thanks.

1977 kz650c, pod filters, low bars, 130/90 tires, kerker 4-1 exhaust (stock!). Dyna ignition system forthcoming. Currently on the hunt for a cat sized sidecar system so the little beast can come along.

More
23 Nov 2008 17:57 #249043 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Won't start...
Boll Weevil wrote:

I'm still getting nothing here. Fat sparks, all the wires routed as they should be, fuel is flowing as it should, etc...

Any other ideas? The weather is lovely here and I need to go for a ride.

Thanks.

just an idea, but spray the pods with a little ether (starting fluid)...i mean just a spritz, and see whats happens...you might have to re-oil pods..
if you are getting fat sparks, then the fuel is suspect...you only need fuel and spark...even if the timing was off and a wire was dicked up it would at least fire and run shitty....just my .02..good luck.....keith