Muffler fell off '82 GPz750 replace with?

More
12 Nov 2008 08:49 #247043 by idkrash
1982 GPz750 Looking for short light replacement mufflers.

The stock muffler fell off because the bolt plate which holds it on at the mid point cracked off close to muffler body. I was going about 30 mph on a city street.

The pipe was not damaged when the clamp let go as the weight of the stock muffler pulled it away.

The muffler was only scuffed up a bit and is in good enough condition to be sold with its buddy from the other side.

I want to replace both stock mufflers with some short light narrow diameter mufflers that don't require the heavy duty bolt plate the stock mufflers need because of their weight.

I need the bike to be as street legal as possible. The front wheel is stamped "for racing only" so if I can attract less attention by appearing street legal that would be good. I plan on dealing with the front wheel next summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2008 09:42 #247049 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Muffler fell off '82 GPz750 replace with?
Are you looking to match the stock finish (black chrome) with an aftermarket muffler? If so, you'll be out of luck as that finish is very difficult to duplicate. If not, then all you have to worry about is the ID of the muffler...check www.denniskirk.com or JCWhitney as they both sell aftermarket mufflers.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Nov 2008 11:09 #247059 by idkrash
Replied by idkrash on topic Muffler fell off '82 GPz750 replace with?
Thanks for the leads I'll look through their offers.

I'm actually considering several options including cutting the stock muffler horns off at the weld point just past the passenger footpeg.

It looks like a good place to cut and it looks like the existing end cap could be repositioned to cover the new hole.

I'm thinking that would greatly reduce the weight those old bolt points are trying to hold up, and still have a street legal look and sound.