UPDATE: It's Out!! Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?

More
17 Feb 2006 14:58 #24542 by TLH101
I am getting ready to replace the starter clutch in my KZ650. I know I can go in through the bottom, but my engine looks a little ratty. I was thinking of pulling it out to clean & detail it up as well as replace the parts. My manual tells me to remove the head, clutch, alternator and a bunch of other parts before pulling the engine. Can I just pull the carbs, left side cover, & pipes, then take it out? Can one person do this or is it too heavy? :unsure:

Post edited by: TLH101, at: 2006/02/20 18:20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2006 15:02 #24544 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
pull the exhuast studs while youre at it ,put floorjack under motor to take weight off and pull it out,use your legs!;)

More
17 Feb 2006 15:27 #24551 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
I've done it myself many a time. It makes it easier if you make a makeshift table basically the same height as the engine is sitting in the bike. Use cynder blocks and a piece of wood to make this "table". Have your table sitting right next to your bike. Lift the engine out and right onto the table. Now it's out in the open where you can gather your strength and get a better grip on it to move it to your workbench. Same way to install, get it to the table, then figure out what placement you need to have your hands to heft it the last foot into the frame. Of course wrap rags ect, around all frame area if you don't want the frame scratched up.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Feb 2006 15:43 #24554 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
It's possible. Kinda heavy with all parts on it but not impossible.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
17 Feb 2006 15:43 #24555 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
It's so much easier if you have someone help. Entice a local hobo with a 40. Put him opposite the side you're taking it out on. Both lift onto bottom tube and YOU balance it. Have hobo run around to your side and both lift off tube and put it where you want it.

Suitable hobo:

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/02/17 21:15

More
17 Feb 2006 15:44 #24556 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
You know your physical capabilities better than anyone, so figure the motor with carbs removed weighs 180-190 lbs and take it from there :)

KD9JUR

More
17 Feb 2006 16:50 #24568 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
Yes you can but be careful. I did my 1000 by myself but it was not easy. I put the BC together on a table last weekend. I got it all back together, wheels and all. I picked the whole bike up off the table and onto the ground. That was about my limit. I am only 190lbs and that bike is about 350 lbs as is. It is all about balance and muscle managment, not about how "strong" you are. Good luck

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
17 Feb 2006 19:31 #24595 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
I changed the engine in my 550 this week With the help of another ,, One on one side and me on the other , I am sure the 550 does not have the weight of a 650 ,, But getting it all lined back up to start the bolt ,, It helped to have help ,, :whistle:

More
20 Feb 2006 06:44 #25079 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
TLH, Your engine weighs nominally 225 lbs. You don't need to remove the engine exhaust studs. Get a transmission jack to be able to maneuver the engine and just lift it a hair. I use a furniture moving dolly and can remove and install a complete engine by myself using these tools. It is far easier to remove the top end as the engine weight is concentrated there.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Feb 2006 07:14 #25081 by Kawozaki
Replied by Kawozaki on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
If I can do it to my 900's engine without dropping my intestines onto the floor, you should be able to do it!!!

More
20 Feb 2006 07:36 #25083 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic KZ 650 engine weight.
A KZ 650 engine with the oil drained, valve cover, engine covers, clutch assy and carbs removed weighs app. 135 lbs. (60 some kg) according to my bathroom scale.

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2006/02/20 10:36

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
20 Feb 2006 08:34 #25087 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Can I Pull my Engine by Myself?
Duck wrote:

It's so much easier if you have someone help. Entice a local hobo with a 40. Put him opposite the side you're taking it out on. Both lift onto bottom tube and YOU balance it. Have hobo run around to your side and both lift off tube and put it where you want it.

Suitable hobo:

-Duck<br><br>Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/02/17 21:15

entice a suitable hobo with a 40....funny!