2/3 cylinders

More
28 Oct 2008 13:23 #244302 by 6leafclover
2/3 cylinders was created by 6leafclover
well it seems that i got my fireing problem fixed i have spark to all 4 but im still wondering about something.. when i spray water on the pipes the two on the outside burn right off..very hot... when it hits the two in the middle it burns off but alot slower like thoes two pipes are not as hot, could this still be electrical or possibly a carb problem im still yet to sync the carbs but could they cause the 2 in the middle to not run as hot? the bike seems to run fine alot better than the other day you could tell something was wrong and i wasent getting any spark to two of the cylinders but now it runs like it always did nice and peppy and seems normal

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2008 13:32 #244307 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 2/3 cylinders
Could definitely be a carb problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Oct 2008 13:59 #244310 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 2/3 cylinders
Another possibility is an ignition coil starting to fail.The older KZ's,GPZ's have the left coil(as you sit on the bike) fire plugs 1&4 and the right coil fire 2&3. I'd check the primary wiring making sure it's clean and tight. Again the older bikes had a push on electrical connection at the coil which in your case may be marginal.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Oct 2008 14:24 #244314 by 6leafclover
Replied by 6leafclover on topic 2/3 cylinders
the coils wires and plugs are fairly new they look brand new but i cant say for sure because i have only had the bike about 4 months or so also the wires that power the coils are new also not the whole harness but from where the power wire splits into two for both coils they are new from there to the coils

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

More
29 Oct 2008 06:05 #244448 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 2/3 cylinders
It could be an electrical problem, an engine problem or a carb problem. 2 & 3 are NOT firing or firing infrequently. When you have a non-firing cylinder, you should do things to figure out what the problem is in a certain order. The order is pretty much the same order as recommended tune up steps.

1. have you checked compression on all four cylinders? If compression is BAD, fix the problem, if OK, check ignition.

2. Check ignition by swapping the 2 & 3 coil for the 1 & 4 coil to see if the problem moves. That is, remove the 1 & 4 coil and connect it where the 2 & 3 coil was previously and vise versa and make sure you don't start swapping wires around. If the problem MOVES, you coil is the culprit. If it stays on the 2 & 3 cylinders, check voltage on the wire that feeds the coil; in fact check both coils. Make sure you have 12 VDC (with key on but the bike not running). If you have power, you may still have problems with the wires, caps or plugs. These can all be swapped out with the components from the 1 & 4 coil one at a time to eliminate these pieces are possible problems. If you don't find an electrical issue this way, since you didn't choose to list what year/model bike you had or what type ignition, I can't go into any detail on what to do next. If the ignition is electronic, the IC Ignitor or pickup coil may be the problem. If it is a points/condensor ignition, those may be the problem.

3. OK... you found your ignition is OK... it might be the carburetors. First thing to figure out is if the non-firing is occuring at only idle or at all speeds. If only at idle, remove the carburetors, disassemble and clean the pilot circuits and replace the pilot jets. If the carbs don't allow the bike to fire at any speed, the problem will be most likely in fuel flow... many things to go into so if you get this far, we can take that up.

I suggest you go into your profile and edit your signature to include your bike year/model and location. In the event a kind KZRider memeber is nearby, they might be able to give you a hand.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Oct 2008 08:58 - 29 Oct 2008 09:03 #244465 by 6leafclover
Replied by 6leafclover on topic 2/3 cylinders
Sorry about the lack of info, am editing the signiture line right after i post this, it is a 79 kz1000-E1 or ST I have not done a compression test yet i have to find my gauge it is for a car but i assume it will work, the problem seems to be only at idle the bike runs great now like it did when i got it anyway it will pop wheelies when i rip on her a little bit :P lots of power now just thoes middle two dont seems as hot, today im going to try to spray them right after i ride it to see what it does and then let it idle for awhile and spray it again, i did mention something in my post about my idle being to high, i noticed that the float vents were capped off, i still have to get some hose but im going to uncap thoes and see if it helps anything

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN
Last edit: 29 Oct 2008 09:03 by 6leafclover.