HELP - Major breakdown, engine runs bike moves no

More
21 Oct 2008 15:39 #243087 by KZFEVER
I was cruising at sixty-five with my girlfriend behind me and the love of my life underneath me - my 1978 KZ1000 A1
I've had since 17

Very suddenly the kickstarter whips around all the way, cracks my leg Engine dies
Bike makes big grinding noise on right side rolls to halt slowly

I took the kickstarter off Started the engine, the engine runs great, however the kickstarter bolt is now spinning with the engine

As soon as I let the clutch out the engine dies, the bike does not move at all.

It still seems to shift ok though

I've done a lot of carbs, electrical breaks, chain sprockets, but never any major mechanical.

How bad is it guys? Help please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2008 16:22 #243092 by keith1
i have to be honest, it doesnt sound good..i m not sure how much of the mechanism for the kicker is servicable from the outside, but i think if you have to go to where the kicker engages internally (which i m guessing you will have to do), i think the manual says its a case splitter...total teardown...let the other more knowledgeable weigh in though before you panic!! good luck...keith

More
21 Oct 2008 16:49 #243099 by Mark Wing
I can't say for sure but on a 650 it sounds like a clutch problem but I don't know on a 1000. Good luck.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
21 Oct 2008 19:16 - 21 Oct 2008 22:39 #243140 by PLUMMEN
i dont have a transmission in front of me to look at ,but i believe the kickstarter engages 2nd gear in trans.;)ok scratch that!:blink: went to building to look .1st gear output shaft/1st gear, clutch gear/ring then to crank .wish i could find my camera id take pictures for ya!:S

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 22:39 by PLUMMEN.

More
21 Oct 2008 19:29 #243145 by keith1
ifn' it does, that would not be good....:(

More
21 Oct 2008 21:36 - 21 Oct 2008 22:21 #243161 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic HELP - Major breakdown, engine runs bike moves no
you

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 22:21 by timebomb33.

More
21 Oct 2008 22:00 #243162 by KZFEVER
All right
Thanks for the replys
Guess Ill start ripping into her this weekend
Any advice?

I sure appreciate this community

More
22 Oct 2008 06:09 #243196 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP - Major breakdown, engine runs bike moves no
Before assuming the transmission is broke, remove the rear countershaft sprocket covers and look at the external shift mechanism. It consists of the shifter, shift pawls and the shift drum. There are a couple of small springs; one on the pawls and one that returns the shift detent (keeps the drum from rotating when it isn't supposed to) and the big spring on the shifter that returns it. I would look at this stuff and make sure it is in good shape and working as it should. If there is no problem here, go on...

Buy a set of cover gaskets. Buy some case sealer such as Hondabond HT or Threebond, etc. Remove the engine from the bike. Remove the top case bolts and the bottom case bolts. There are about a half dozen on top around where the starter is and the bottom ones are pretty obvious with the engine upsidedown. The engine cases split by using an M8 bolt to lever the cases apart. There are three split points; two in front and one in back as memory serves. Once the cases are split, pull the bottom case half off. The transmission is in front of you. Perhaps the rod that holds the shift forks has sheared? I would have a complete spare transmission on hand. Take care not to lose the small half moon bits that locate the transmission in the cases. I can't recall if there is a locating dowel(s) under the transmission. If I saw what whas broken, I would replace it... if you have a spare transmission, replace the whole thing. Before you get to this stage, you can check the clutch hub and clutch for any obvious issues since you will have to pull all the covers off (that is the reason for the gasket set).

If you have done this before, removing and replacing the transmission will take about 8 hours work or so depending on how quick you can scrape gaskets. You don't have to mess with the top end at all.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!