Bike won't start - Too much oil fouling the spark?

More
20 Oct 2008 21:16 #242936 by Gorham
Hi all,

I just bought another bike (for my girlfriend) and i can't get it started. here's what i got:

Honda 1981 CM400E (twin, chain drive)
( i know . . . HONDA. i tried to join a honda forum recently to ask these questions but i haven't been "approved", and i've found this forum to be the most helpful, so here goes)

i cleaned the carbs twice. two cans of cleaner through them.

new spark plugs. tested spark on cyl block. both seem good.
plugs are oily. i checked the oil level in the case and it was really high. P.O. must of "topped it off" before selling it . . . or something.
either way, i emptied some oil out and brought it down to the correct level. cleaned the plugs and reinsalled, but they only get oily again.

compression test (cold) read 125 & 132. Clymer saying it should read between 177 - 199. low compression? bad rings?

air filter is new. checked breather tubes to make sure passages are clear. carb and engine boots are in great shape. not hard. original air box.

new fuel. checked fuel lines and emptied carb bowls twice just to make sure they were getting fuel. no water. added sea foam.

new battery, fully charged. i've been using a jumper box anyways just to not wear down the battery.

i had her running off of starter fluid in the driveway, but she wouldn't stay running and it took a lot of even get her going at all. how do i get the oil to stop fouling the plugs? will it not start because the compression is low?

HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 22:11 - 20 Oct 2008 22:12 #242952 by timebomb33
anything over 100lbs and it should start how did you clean your carbs did you smell the oil that was to high it sounds as if the needles and seats are leaking and it filled up the bottom end and it sounds like your carbs are gummed up take them off and clean them properly and make sure you use compressed air on all the passages after you shot carb cleaner thru them.if it will start on ether than if it gets proper fuel it will run ,that is why i'm saying your carbs are still munged up. good luck

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 20 Oct 2008 22:12 by timebomb33.

More
20 Oct 2008 23:16 - 20 Oct 2008 23:18 #242967 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Bike won't start - Too much oil fouling the spa
Gorham wrote:

how do i get the oil to stop fouling the plugs?

It's either valve seals or rings feeding oil onto the plugs.

Check compression cold and dry, then repeat with a squirt of oil in the cylinder. Big increase (more than 10 psi) probably means rings are leaking.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 20 Oct 2008 23:18 by bountyhunter.

More
21 Oct 2008 05:35 #242990 by BSKZ650
get some new plugs, also, while the plugs are out, spray some carb cleaner in the cyls, spin it over with the plugs out, this will clean any excess oil in there out, then new plugs maybe a small shot of starting fluid to help it fire up

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Oct 2008 11:01 #243042 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bike won't start - Too much oil fouling the spa
As to the compression test, did you do the test with the throttle wide open? If not, the results are not meaningful. As to the bike not starting, you say that the plugs are getting oil fouled while the bike is spinning. This indicates perhaps a leaking head gasket or very bad valve guides. I would verify the compression test again and make sure that the values were correct.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Oct 2008 16:48 #243268 by Gorham
Thanks for the suggestions guys. i'll go back through the carbs and hit them with some compressed air.

yes, i did the compression test with the throttle wide open. i think the head gasket may be leaking. its a little oily, but i haven't cleaned her up yet to see how bad it is or to see if its leaking at all.

she sounds so close to starting and running. it doesn't seem major, so i keep going over the basics to see if i'm forgetting something simple.

i'll spray some cleaner in the cylinders to see how bad oil is leaking. i'll let you know how it goes in a few.

also, this bike has been off the road for 5 years and i got it for $400 . . .

More
22 Oct 2008 18:01 #243281 by keith1
imho, if it sounds close its probably in the carbs.
go over the little stupid stuff too.....even with low compression it should start and run...it might run like crap, but it will run....good luck...ps
on the carbs, lots of carb clean in any hole you see ...mine were so crappy on the outside it took two cans and they still could use more.one can did the inside....again good luck

More
22 Oct 2008 20:47 #243317 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Bike won't start - Too much oil fouling the spa
the compression is not all that low any thing over a hundred pounds and it should start if the carbs are good and clean. which from the sounds of it they are not.try cleaning out your pilot jets and circuits again. if you have any body around that can do a leakdown test on it ,it is well worth the effort.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
23 Oct 2008 17:42 #243439 by Gorham
Good news!

i got the bike running today. i pulled the carbs off again and went back through them with cleaner and compressed air paying close attention to all the jets. i dried out all the surfaces with the air as well and made sure my floats were working properly.

i also used some carb cleaner in the spark plug holes to clean out any excess oil in the cylinders. after i let the bike run for a while, i took it down the road in 1st. it has a lot of kinks to work out but its getting better (back firing). i pulled the plugs and they were clean. no more oil.

tonight its been firing up 1st try everytime.
thanks guys.