sputtering in cold weather...a lot

More
20 Oct 2008 05:26 #242786 by LP440
sputtering in cold weather...a lot was created by LP440
hey guys.....been a while since I posted here...but I been a member for quite a while. Anyway....still got my 81 440LTD....still ride it a lot. This morning....I was riding to work....it was about 30 deg out....I was low on gas...but not that low...had at least a gallon in the tank. after riding about 2 mi ok.....i started to head up a steep hil...and the bike began to sputter really bad in any gear....and with the choke in any position. It never stalled out....but I had to pull over cause it wouldn't go. I turned around to take it home and headed down the hill.....at the bottom of the hill I decided to keep going to get home.....I closed the choke the whole way like I would if it was warm.....and I made it home OK....I tried restarting it several times at home and it was OK.....checked the oil and it was not low....didn't smell bad....no bad exhaust smoke.

What do you guys think?.....low on gas and hit some moisture in the tank?.....had the choke open too long?....oil too thick?.....just too damn cold?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 19:52 #242921 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
is it you or the bike that's sputtering in the cold weather seriously i would check the plugs you might have fouled them from running it to long on the choke [enrichner it actally add's extra fuel] throw in a fresh set of plugs and i bet it will fire right up. try it and let us know how it go'es.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
21 Oct 2008 01:08 #242980 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
If not already done, would also assure valve clearances are set to specs. Thinking too tight valves would be consistent with the symptoms presented.

low on gas and hit some moisture in the tank? Nope. Because fuel level would not prevent any moisture from settling to bottom, as gasoline floats on water.

had the choke open too long? Maybe. Could have possibly fuel-fouled a plug.

oil too thick? Don't think so, at least not after running two miles.

just too damn cold? Nope. Would require longer warm-up, but bike performance should actually benefit.

Would assure air filter is clean, and (if applicable) not over-oiled.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
21 Oct 2008 01:33 #242983 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
I know my z1 i horribly cold blooded and dosent like to run right or idle for that matter until it has fully warmed up. But then again kawi 4's are nitoriously cold blooded. I remember one time i tried to take off in 1st gear before she was fully warmed up......it made a spit and pop and just died, i looked so stupid but luckly knowbody was around.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
21 Oct 2008 06:01 #242996 by LP440
Replied by LP440 on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
Patton wrote:

low on gas and hit some moisture in the tank? Nope. Because fuel level would not prevent any moisture from settling to bottom, as gasoline floats on water.

OK...I agree with all....but I am a little confused by this one......am I understanding that the only way you can have a moisture problem is if you run out of gas?.....

This may sound dumb...but I was just wondering if the tank being in an inclined position going up hill may have had something to do with the bad fuel hitting the carbs.....its just a wild ass guess....but after I turned around and went down hill....the problem went away for good......I took it out last night for a ride to get gas and had no problems....before or after the fillup.

More
21 Oct 2008 07:32 #243008 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
wonder if you have some obstruction on the screens on the petcock, when it runs low, it doesnt get all the fuel needed

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Oct 2008 11:05 #243043 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
You have a real choke on your Keihin carbs. Running on choke too long can foul spark plugs. I would make sure the plugs are not fouled. Next, it does sound like a fuel issue but more likely the delivery of fuel to the carbs. I would completely drain the tank and refill. Sounds like bad gas; that is, water in the gas.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Oct 2008 12:23 #243048 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
i say to check your float heights.
you said you were on a steep incling then it started to sputter.
you probally uncovered the mains and it was starving for fuel.
if it ran fine on a level surface but sputters going uphill, that is where i would check first.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• MikePotter86
  • User
  • Two wheels move the soul.
More
21 Oct 2008 13:41 #243063 by MikePotter86
Replied by MikePotter86 on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
On my 750, anything less than a gallon (before fuel light goes on) at the uphill outside my office, will have the same effect. Have you done any guess and check on hills with a full gas tank?

As many can attest, I am far from an expert, but if your petcock is like mine( I think we have the same gas tank/petcock setup) on an uphill with low fuel, the gasoline all situates real of the petcock, and you lose fuel pressure.
See if switching to reserve helps at all, this way you'll know if it is a low fuel issue before you go tearing into your carbs.

Michael L. Potter
1981 KZ 750 LTD
South Lyon, MI/ Bloomington, IN

www.flickr.com/photos/potterm/

More
21 Oct 2008 15:29 #243085 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
LP440 wrote:

Patton wrote:

OK...I agree with all....but I am a little confused by this one......am I understanding that the only way you can have a moisture problem is if you run out of gas?....

Regardless of fuel level inside tank, any water will sink to the bottom and pass on through the petcock.

The manual (non-vacuum) petcocks have a sediment bowl where any water is supposed to collect without going on through the fuel line toward the carbs. With sediment bowl fitted, routine maintenance includes unscrewing it and dumping it and cleaning the round fuel filter screen which sits atop the sediment bowl.

Imo, the tank fuel level alone (high or low) is immaterial to volume or "pressure" of fuel flow from the tank (provided the cap vent is functional). In other words, starting with a full tank (and functional vent or cap ajar), flow from the petcock remains steady and unchanging until the tank empties.

The peanut gallery has spoken. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2008 06:29 #243199 by LP440
Replied by LP440 on topic sputtering in cold weather...a lot
Patton wrote:

LP440 wrote:

Patton wrote:

OK...I agree with all....but I am a little confused by this one......am I understanding that the only way you can have a moisture problem is if you run out of gas?....

Regardless of fuel level inside tank, any water will sink to the bottom and pass on through the petcock.

The manual (non-vacuum) petcocks have a sediment bowl where any water is supposed to collect without going on through the fuel line toward the carbs. With sediment bowl fitted, routine maintenance includes unscrewing it and dumping it and cleaning the round fuel filter screen which sits atop the sediment bowl.

Imo, the tank fuel level alone (high or low) is immaterial to volume or "pressure" of fuel flow from the tank (provided the cap vent is functional). In other words, starting with a full tank (and functional vent or cap ajar), flow from the petcock remains steady and unchanging until the tank empties.

The peanut gallery has spoken. :lol:

OK...sorry...I misread what you originally said....I took it as the water would stay up....I just read it too fast....but now I totally agree.....I just think I had some moisture that made it to the carb for just a short time......the bike seems to be ok now....with the exception that it is 27 years old of course...lol....still runs good and is very reliable though......

Thanks to all you guys.....this forum is just as helpful as a few years ago when I was posting here. I plan to check in regularly again to hopefully help out if I can and pick your brains.:)