Engine surging when riding against the wind

More
17 Oct 2008 21:43 #242362 by Kawman
I still have a bit of a problem. Bike runs great except when I'm riding against the wind. It starts cutting out pretty bad. I don't have pods. The only thing that I haven't replaced are the exhaust gaskets. Any suggestions. Thanks.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2008 07:03 #242400 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
Are you using pod air filters by any chance? hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 Oct 2008 07:05 #242402 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
Are you sure the engine is surging? I think the same thing sometimes but really just think I'm being buffeted by the wind.;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Oct 2008 07:19 #242404 by Kawman
Replied by Kawman on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
Positive. It is totally cutting out. Only when riding against the wind.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
18 Oct 2008 07:25 - 18 Oct 2008 07:26 #242405 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
If you are sure it's totally cutting out it must be electrical. I'd check under the tank for loose connections or spark arcing. Since you don't have pods and you know it's not buffeting I can only guess it's there unless you have some pretty big slits or holes in your carb boots. If you have a leaf blower maybe you can recreate it in the garage to narrow it down.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 18 Oct 2008 07:26 by Locozuna.

More
18 Oct 2008 08:18 - 18 Oct 2008 09:28 #242413 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
Maybe a short in the wiring to the OFF/RUN switch??:unsure: Thinking possibly wind pressure (against wiring loom entering right-hand handlebar switch assembly) is "activating" the short?? :unsure: Or maybe the OFF/RUN switch is itself worn out and being affected by the wind gusting??:unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Oct 2008 09:28 by Patton.

More
18 Oct 2008 10:20 #242427 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
wind is sucking the air out of the pod filters,i usually notice it from crosswinds .stok airboxes have their advantages

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 Oct 2008 10:36 - 18 Oct 2008 10:44 #242429 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Engine surging when riding against the wind
FYI: He says in his original post he doesn't have pods...unless......4th dimensional pods are appearing where his airbox should be when it gets gusty!!:blink: I guess ya never know!!:silly: :silly: :silly: :unsure: :ohmy:

Then again he doesn't actually say he has an airbox either....:huh: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :pinch:

Your exhaust would have to be leaking pretty badly for that to be the cause but stranger things have happened. Blow some smoke (insense stick or punk) around the exhust coupling with the engine running to see if you have a sizable exhaust leak. It's said if you cherry up the exhaust gaskets and quick quench them they will return to new condition (pre-crushed). I have never done this as they are pretty cheap and I usually have a set or two on hand but in a pinch I would try it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 18 Oct 2008 10:44 by Locozuna. Reason: 2nd & 3rd thoughts

More
18 Oct 2008 16:39 - 18 Oct 2008 16:44 #242475 by Patton
Question -- when engine is cutting out, does it make any difference if a downshift or two is made (keeping same road speed at higher rpm) ??

Another wild guess --- Possible fuel starvation where engine is working harder to buck headwind, and receiving insufficient supply of fuel.

Will lob some ideas regarding possible fuel starvation ---

Maybe fuel tank cap vent is clogged (test by running with cap unsnapped and left ajar while running).

Maybe petcock strainer screen is clogged, up inside fuel tank or inside petcock??

Maybe fuel has crud and/or grit floating around inside the tank hovering around the petcock intake which collects around and clogs the petcock screen when riding (could flush out the tank)??

Maybe inline fuel filter is clogged??

Maybe needlejet is clogged?

Maybe mainjet is clogged?

Just thoughts about other possibilites rather than electrical.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Oct 2008 16:44 by Patton.

More
18 Oct 2008 16:43 #242476 by Patton
Is air filter in good condition, not clogged, and not over-oiled, and not blocked with a shop rag or anything else stored underneath the seat? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Oct 2008 21:15 #242520 by Kawman
I have switched back to the airbox with new k&n filter, fuel cap is venting, tank is clean, petcock is nos and clean, in-line filter is new, carbs are fresh with all new o-rings, gaskets, jets, and are the second rack that I've put on, valves are adjusted correctly, new dyna coils, new wires, new plugs, new dyna ignition, 170 psi compression, wiring harness has been combed over with new connectors, good alternator, good rectifier, 12v at coils. There are probably other things that are in check so I don't know what else there is that I can do. It is running better than it was a few months ago. I just don't know what to do about this wind thing. It does seem that my plugs are darker sometimes and then lighter at other times. I'm kind of running out of options here. Because I've been trying to figure this out for so long I broke down and bought a new ninja zx-6r. But I would still like to ride my KZ. But this problem is getting to be a little rediculous.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
18 Oct 2008 21:18 #242521 by Kawman
Also, downshifting doesn't help at all. Just makes things worse.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR