What cam chain parts need changed?

More
13 Oct 2008 09:36 #241574 by fordtruck
What cam chain parts need changed? was created by fordtruck
I will probably be rebuilding the top end of my 77 KZ1000 this winter. It shows 35,000 miles and is burning some oil. I've read on here that I should look at changing the cam chain rollers and guides. What exactly needs replaced? Do I need to change the chain, or just these rollers and guides?

I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I want to do this right. Thanks for your help.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2008 10:11 #241582 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic What cam chain parts need changed?
My own opinion is that if it isn't broken, no need to change anything. You can look at the 3 idler sprockets and see if they are bad. When bad the center rubber material starts deteriorating and eventually falls into the oil pan. The chain won't need replacing, but your cam timing may be off slightly if the chain is partially worn, so for top performance it may help to replace. Yes you can use a masterlink type chain and it works just fine. I doubt any of the other parts need replacing. Like I said this is strictly my opinion. As of now I have a KZ1000 with over 80,000 on the camchain/sprockets, a KZ650 with 64,000, and my original KZ650 that went close to 140,000 miles before needing the chain or sprockets.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Oct 2008 10:12 #241583 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What cam chain parts need changed?
id definately do the chain,wait till you tear it down to check everything else.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Oct 2008 10:53 #241590 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What cam chain parts need changed?
I have disassembled quite a few KZ engines and highly suggest you change all cam chain related bits. Buy a new idler assmebly, the rollers and front guide as well. replace the chain. If you don't need to get into the bottom of the engine, use a master-link type chain. The front guide is perhaps the poorest design as it flexes and is rubber. The rubber hardens due to heat and the oil and every one of them are cracked. Flex one and see the horizontal crack. Once cracked, they are not far from the rubber falling apart and dropping into the pan. The rollers will be worn at 35K. The rubber pads on the idler assembly will be hard and won't dampen well. Spend the money and replace all this junk.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Oct 2008 11:07 #241592 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic What cam chain parts need changed?
Thanks for everyone's advice. After reading this, I think I will tear it down and inspect before I just order all new parts. If something looks suspect, then I will replace it. Like I said before, I don't want to spend a fortune on parts that are not needed, but if it needs replace then I will.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port