Very strange noise when I start my 650B

More
12 Oct 2008 18:55 #241498 by Britcheflee
Very strange noise when I start my 650B was created by Britcheflee
Ok, this might sound crazy but I have had this strange noise with my 650B on occasions when I start it up - it normally is when it is cold, and it nearly fires up but dies...it sounds like a weak car horn...sort of a parrrrp/hoot sort of noise.
Once the bike has warmed up, or if it catches and fires up properly there is no noise......
Any idea what that might be? bike runs fine otherwise.

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2008 19:19 #241502 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
The over running clutch on the starting mechanism can make a similar sound. You will need the left side engine gasket as they tear on removal and inspect the spring and rollers in the starting clutch.

Do you have a shop manual? If so this is very easy to check.
Lean the bike to the right to minimize the oil flow, remove the screws on the case and carefully remove the side cover.

The starting clutch is behind the rotor (the magnetic part that rotates for the alternator). It has three spring loaded rollers that engage when the starter rotates.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Oct 2008 21:10 #241519 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
MFolks wrote:

The over running clutch on the starting mechanism can make a similar sound. You will need the left side engine gasket as they tear on removal and inspect the spring and rollers in the starting clutch.

Do you have a shop manual? If so this is very easy to check.
Lean the bike to the right to minimize the oil flow, remove the screws on the case and carefully remove the side cover.

The starting clutch is behind the rotor (the magnetic part that rotates for the alternator). It has three spring loaded rollers that engage when the starter rotates.

yeah, what he said!! seriously, you might to open up left side and see what goes on in there...if you cant get it leaned right, you will lose about 3/4 qt..no biggee....get a spare gasket too...post your results and / questions....lots of help here...

More
12 Oct 2008 21:30 #241523 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
Or...you can use the kickstarter :) Mine makes a similar noise on occasion, but I have learned to live with it. Never hurt anything with my bike.

More
13 Oct 2008 19:58 #241687 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
Take the starter off and use battery cables to jump it off a battery,, I think you will find that the starter is the culprit,, the bushings dry out and make that noise. Put some never seize on the bushings and it will last a couple years before needing it again

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
14 Oct 2008 00:54 #241720 by Britcheflee
Replied by Britcheflee on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
Thanks for the info!!! I thought I had run over an owl or something:P - I must get in the habit of using the kick start more often - it fires up great with that...I will give the starter a check as well and get back to you.

Lee

More
14 Oct 2008 08:43 #241759 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
i agree that the starter clutch is the most likely issue, but if you take off the left engine cover all you will find on a 650 is the rotor and stator, the starter clutch is inside the engine. some will tell you to replace it with the engine in the bike and some say to remove it, that is your own decision, but it is more in depth than the 900/1000/1100 starter clutch. there are few write ups on here about starter clutch rebuild on here, i think i wrote one a few years ago.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
15 Oct 2008 22:10 #242038 by drmadd95
Replied by drmadd95 on topic Very strange noise when I start my 650B
If it's the same noise mine makes, mine does it with the kick starter as well. Only does it once in awhile. I have no idea what is causing it.

1979 KZ650 B (Main Ride)
1978 KZ650 D1 (sold)
1982 KZ750 (parts bike)