Clutch housing (?) "loose"?

More
10 Oct 2008 01:58 - 10 Oct 2008 04:53 #241059 by kawaduce
Clutch housing (?) "loose"? was created by kawaduce
Hi,

First of all, I don't know all the correct technical terms in english (being a swede). When I say clutch housing I might mean clutch basket... it's the outermost one with the teeth running all the way around on its outside... :blush:
Anyway:
When I was working on putting in new friction plates and springs I noticed I was able to move the clutch housing (part no 13095-1037) sideways, all directions. I guess the play was abot 3-4 mm... My question is - is this normal, or should I worry as much as I do right now??? If it is not normal, what should I do? I might add that the innermost friction plate was broken, the others were ok (=not broken).

Hope you can help me out - I'm a decent mechanic, as long as I know what to do.. :S And I ride my kz1100 every day, so right now it is badly missed...

KZ1100B2 1982 - carb converted
Last edit: 10 Oct 2008 04:53 by kawaduce. Reason: Lack of technical terms knowledge...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2008 05:17 #241077 by FastKaw1
Replied by FastKaw1 on topic Clutch housing (?) "loose"?
kawaduce:
Your clutch basket should NOT move as you described.
It is ether the bearing on the shaft or you have a
broken clutch basket spring/or two. If it's the bearing
there is no easy fix, you have to split the cases.
Not hard to fix just a pain in the ---
I don't know much about the 1100 clutch basket.
Some will come out with out splitting the cases.

XENU

More
11 Oct 2008 21:50 #241372 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Clutch housing (?) "loose"?
if you hold the primary drive gear can you move the clutch basket independtly if you can you will need to replace the springs in the backing plate,it is fairly common in older hard ridden kz's A.P.E makes a heavy duty spring and rivit kit or schnitz racing has complete baskets already done and they are not to badly priced, they kind of tough to install properly so i just buy already done when ever i need one.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
12 Oct 2008 14:47 #241472 by kawaduce
Replied by kawaduce on topic Clutch housing (?) "loose"?
First of all,thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

To describe the situation in the words of my Clymer manual,
if I try to move the inner hub (Clymer vocabulary)I cannot - it spins nicely without any wiggling. But when I grab the outer housing (Clymer again...) it wiggles slightly to the sides and even more in and out. I figure I have to remove the clutch hub nut check more closely what is going on. Anyone have experience removing the hub nut without the special tool? In the Clymer they mention a "collar assembly" - If worn out, could this explain why the outer housing wiggles? And by the way, I actually have experienced increased vibrations lately when driving, receding after 4000 rpm.

Timebomb33 - I have bought new springs, actually from APE, but these are the 5 springs preassuring the clutch plates. Are there other springs I should check out regarding my problem? :unsure:

Again, thanks all for helping!

More
13 Oct 2008 11:12 #241594 by FastKaw1
The springs are in-between the drive gear and the clutch housing. Not in the clutch
hub.Not the 5 springs you got from APE.
You do need a special tool to remove the clutch hub.
If you have extra clutch plates you can make one, real easy.
Best to look at the pic. for special tools though so you know what it should look like.
Just weld a handle on a steel clutch plate.
You need a impact to get the nut off. Don't lose the clutch pusher ball, as it will
most likely fall out and roll to some obscure place to be lost for ever when you take it apart.

XENU

More
14 Oct 2008 01:08 #241721 by kawaduce
Replied by kawaduce on topic Clutch housing (?) "loose"?
OK, FastKaw, I do have one extra clutch plate. Will it be strong enough, or do I need more than one? Also, I have been searching the kawasaki website for the springs between the drive gear and the clutch housing but have yet to find them. Any pointers there? :huh:

www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew/accessories...2&ModelCode=KZ1100B2

And when it comes to the clutch pusher ball, let's hope I haven't lost it already..!

/Fredrik

More
14 Oct 2008 07:12 #241747 by FastKaw1
Yes, one will work fine, two is better. It's the handle and how you brace the handle
that counts.
I get the (spring kits) from Schnitz Racing. Because there are close to me.
APE has them. I only get parts from Kawasaki as a last resort. (cost)
I would think Z1 ENTERPRISE will have them. There are sponsors of this site.
I would recommend that you send the clutch basket out and have it dun as it is
a pain in the back side to put back together if you have never dun it be-for. I think APE and Schnitz will do a exchange, your old one for a rebuilt one.
See timebomb33 post above.

Is there any performance motor cycle shops in Sweden? Shipping to the states
and back will be costly... As long as you have it apart, install a after market clutch
pusher bearing as well. Clutch hub rebuild kits are around $75(us) and the
pusher bearings are around $25(us)

More
15 Oct 2008 21:15 #242032 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Clutch housing (?) "loose"?
kawaduce i am talking about the outer clutch basket the backing plate that holds the primary drive gear in place has 3 large rivits and 6 springs in it on a stock basket 3 of the springs are light gauge 3 are heavy gauge, the built up basket has 6heavy springs installed and 3 heavier rivits installed, the springs you have are for the pressure plate hold the primary gear solid and try moving the primary drive gear it sounds like that might be you problem.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE