How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
10 Oct 2008 09:01 #241102 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
I've heard of using water to clean the valves like this, and even done it a few times on cars over the years. But I never took anything apart afterwards to see if it actually worked.
But I've also heard that transmission fluid will do it too, but I wouldn't recommend it on a motorcycle engine. I'd be worried about scoring the cylinder walls.
But since you can actually look in your exhaust ports and see the valves, I don't see where it would hurt anything to paint some tranny fluid directly on the carbon deposits. Maybe it'll soften it up and blow out next time you run it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2008 09:04 #241104 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
warmed up motor.just take a spray bottle and blast a little in there while working the throttle a little,motor will stumble a little.water wont compress it basically turns to steam and blows carbon off.do one carb at a time and watch the carbon blow out exhuast,might need to do each cylinder couple times depending on how bad it is.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
10 Oct 2008 09:18 #241107 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
riverroad wrote:

But since you can actually look in your exhaust ports and see the valves...

Just don't run the engine with the headers off...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
10 Oct 2008 09:25 #241109 by PLUMMEN
yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

More
10 Oct 2008 09:34 #241111 by onanysunday
Replied by onanysunday on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
Ok! How long should I do that for each carburetor? You're saying you can actually see the carbon come out the exhaust pipe? That sounds gratifying, I'll have to give it a try.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

More
10 Oct 2008 09:45 #241115 by PLUMMEN
hold your hand back a couple feet from exhuast,youll feel the little chunkshitting your hand!:laugh:

More
10 Oct 2008 10:40 #241120 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
PLUMMEN wrote:

hold your hand back a couple feet from exhuast,youll feel the little chunkshitting your hand!:laugh:

All right...what the hell is chunkshitting!?!?!?! Never mind, I really don't want to know...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
10 Oct 2008 11:02 #241122 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
You might as well bite the bullet and do a valve seal job. I had a bike with the valve seal completely missing and the buildup was not that bad. As posted above, a wire wheel on a bench grinder does the job real quick. You are wasting your time trying to clean your valves while in the engine because the root cause is leaking oil....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
10 Oct 2008 12:38 #241133 by PLUMMEN
Mcdroid wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

All right...what the hell is chunkshitting!?!?!?! Never mind, I really don't want to know...

chunks hitting!:laugh: i type with one finger and you expect me to be able to spell also?:woohoo:

More
11 Oct 2008 07:09 #241232 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
The use of the word chunkshitting made me think there was a stomach virus involved somewhere in this discussion.

I doubt water will clean the carbon off valves where it is baked on and thick. One of the gas station companies sells gas with a chemical called Techron which is made to remove this stuff. You can buy bottles of the stuff to use in higher concentration but I doubt it will remove burned on carbon. I think a wire brush wheel on a drill or Dremel tool would be the best bet. If the stuff has crept up high enough, the stem seals will be toast. I would buy a new cylinder head gasket and remove the head and do some cleaning and have some new seals on hand.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Oct 2008 14:56 - 14 Oct 2008 16:58 #241803 by onanysunday
Replied by onanysunday on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
Plummen- Thanks for the advice. This past weekend I successfully steam cleaned carbon out of my combustion chambers and valves with a spray bottle using a fine mist of water. I was surprised to see how well the engine ran despite the healthy dose of water. Small chunks of carbon flew out the exhaust pipe. I'll admit I was extremely skeptical about it. I've heard horror stories about hydro-lock and bent connecting rods and valves; fortunately this was not the case. Everything went smoothly, although it was time consuming to "mist" a decent quantity of water through the system. Thanks again for the advice! After the steam clean, the throttle response was much crisper and more responsive! One thing I didn't realize was that water would mix with the oil in the crankcase, creating a newfound "sludge" problem the likes of which I have never seen.. I changed the oil right afterward, but unfortunately, the water and oil formed to combine what I can only describe as a foamy, light colored petroleum mucking the entire innards of engine casings and the powerplant's bowels..Fortunately, life goes on. Although next time I think I will just spray a mist of Seafoam directly down the carburetor throats until stalling engine. Restart engine 5-15 minutes later and watch the smokefest! Thanks All.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods
Last edit: 14 Oct 2008 16:58 by onanysunday.

• bigkzfan
  • User
  • if grandpa had tits he"d be grandma, if
More
14 Oct 2008 19:20 #241835 by bigkzfan
Replied by bigkzfan on topic How to: Valve-stem carbon removal?
i have used bg 44k fuel system cleaner seems to work pretty
well.i work at car x and we do induction services in the upper intakes and i have seen first hand that there products just melts away built up carbon may take a few times but it will do it

hello, i own a 1982 kz1000 j model with a 4into1 header and factory air box...