Valve Seal replacement

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
08 Oct 2008 19:14 #240844 by IowaKZ
Valve Seal replacement was created by IowaKZ
Well, I'm getting up the nerve to tackle replacing my valve seals. I already have a valve cover gasket. I still need to get a head gasket and the valve seals (need to call Z1).

Anyway, I just wanted to ask some of the folks with more experience:

What other work should I be doing while I have the head off.
Am I going to have to take the engine out to get the head off?
Do I have to take the jugs off and replace that gasket as well (read that somewhere)?

Bike is a 1980 kz1000 G1 classic with ~31,000 miles.

I have a home made valve spring compression tool my dad welded up for me. I have been reading the other thread about trying to remove the valve springs without taking the head out, but it doesn't seem to address these questions.

thanks.

Dale

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2008 20:35 #240855 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Valve Seal replacement
with 30,000 miles onthe clock id suggest pulling the jugs and checking pistons and bores also.ifeverything checks out id do a hone and ring job while youre in there.ive seen more than 1 motor with a new valve job that finished off the old tired rings from new found sealing in combustion chamber !:( id do the usual ,guides and seals and a good valve job while its apart and a timing chain and related stuff .then you can ride another 30,000 without worrying about motorB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Oct 2008 21:53 #240862 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Seal replacement
At minimum, lap the valves.

You don't have to pull the engine to get the head off.

After the head is off: you can rotate the pistons down and measure cylinder wear with an inside micrometer. Measure the top of the cylinder (where the rings can't reach) and a couple of inches down where it would have wear.

I doubt you need a ring job at 30k, but it's easy to measure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Oct 2008 05:16 #240885 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Valve Seal replacement
If you're going to measure the cylinder, measure it front to rear as that's where it wears.
The majority of the wear will be on the front of the cylinder (on the twins, the rear of the cylinder will wear), and that's also where you'll see the worst scoring on the piston (if you see any).

On the fours, the front is the thrust face, on the twins it's the rear.

KD9JUR

More
09 Oct 2008 05:28 #240887 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve Seal replacement
I would agree to check everything while you have it apart, no sense in having to go back into it after a few miles, fix it right the first time,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
09 Oct 2008 18:20 #241011 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Valve Seal replacement
Just another question (right now).

I understand most of what you suggested, but why do you need to hone the cylinders when you replace the rings?

does it have to do with creating a better pressure seal?

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
09 Oct 2008 20:14 #241029 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Valve Seal replacement
makes it easier for the rings to seat themselves with the rough surface

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
09 Oct 2008 20:50 #241034 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Valve Seal replacement
If you've got the head off, you for darn sure should pull the block off and replace the base gasket. It WILL leak if it's the original gasket or hasn't been replaced in 10 years or so. Trust me on this.
All the other posters are absolutely correct about checking for ring wear and cylinder ovality as well as valve stem wear, guide wear etc etc.
If you've gone this far (pulling the head off) you'd be absolutely foolish not to check everything out thoroughly.
Replace/fix what needs to be replaced/fixed if it measures
at or close to the limits....and replace the cam chain on general principles.
If you're planning on keeping the bike for the forseeable future, anything less is false economy.....especially if it's a daily rider.
My .02....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
10 Oct 2008 11:35 #241129 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Valve Seal replacement
Just get a top end gasket kit from Z1. It has everything you will need except the base gasket. If there is no indication of oil leaking from the base gasket, I would leave it alone. An original base gasket is a major PITA to remove. However, when you remove the head, the cylinders may lift up with the head which means you will need to change the base gasket....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
10 Oct 2008 12:38 #241134 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve Seal replacement
the reason for the honing, it deglazes the cyl and the cross hatch pattern is needed to allow the new rings to seat,or seal, if you dont do this, you will burn oil big time

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Oct 2008 07:22 #241237 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Valve Seal replacement
There is some good advise in this thread but if I were contemplating this work, I would either do EVERYTHING that can be done or just do the valve stem oil seals. If you do the valve stem oil seals, i suggest you check compression first. If compression is within service spec, just pull the head, disassemble, change the seals and do some clean up with a wire brush wheel on a drill or Dremel tool. Carefully inspect your plug thread holes and repair while the head is off, if needed. That is about ALL I would do. I wouldn't pull the cylinder if the compression is good.

If I did EVERYTHING, I would remove the cylinder and measure the piston to bore clearance. You will need T bore gauges and a digital caliper and you make NINE measurements... at three depths and three angles to determine if the bores are round or have ovalled.

If you have oval bores or the piston to bore clearance is out of spec, you will need oversized pistons and a re-bore/hone. If the cylinder bores are round and within spec, re-ring/hone.

I would replace ALL the cam chain stuff at this point... rollers/guides and idler assembly and the chain itself.

I would consider sending the head off for new guides and a valve job (which would include new seals and cleaning).

You can see that the valve seal replacement itself will cost only a few bucks and a couple hours where the full top end rebuild could get expensive but would completely renew the top end of your engine. The cost can't be easily estimated until you get into the engine because a re-ring/hone will cost $100 while the new pistons and re-boring job will cost quite a bit more...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
11 Oct 2008 18:45 #241330 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Valve Seal replacement
Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments. I have done a compression check and all cylinders are between 145 and 155, (checked cold) so that is not really an issue.

I'll have to think about what I have time and money for at this point. I don't really ride it hard enough to put it under a lot of stress and I need to be able to ride it as long as possible this year because my son started driving and it's a lot more convenient to let him drive one of our cars to school, but that means I'm on 2 wheels so my wife can have the other car.

I'll think about it and let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa