I cant get to head bolts on my kz750

More
08 Oct 2008 15:46 #240826 by aschnelle
I cant get to head bolts on my kz750 was created by aschnelle
I have a 1980 kz750 twin, and i am in the process of replacing the head gasket. the cam cover is bolted to the head, and there are plugs that cover 4 bolts. I have tried everything to get the plugs loose without breaking them. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2008 16:36 #240833 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic I cant get to head bolts on my kz750
I'm not familiar w/any "plugs" covering any of the valve cover bolts, on the twins. Any chance of getting a picture? I changed all my boogered cover bolts w/stainless allens. Think maybe these are allen bolts? Maybe someone w/the B or G moldel will have some other ideas.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
08 Oct 2008 17:37 - 08 Oct 2008 17:40 #240838 by steell
Replied by steell on topic I cant get to head bolts on my kz750
He's talking about the four aluminum plugs that cover the four inner head bolts.

It's been awhile since I pulled a 750 twin head off, but I think there are threaded holes in the plugs that you can thread a screw into in order to pull them out. I'm sure you know that you have to remove the cam/valve cover first. And don't forget to remove the two outside head bolts that go in from the bottom on the outside in front of, and behind, the cam chain gallery.

Those plugs have o-rings on them and can be a pain to get out, try some penetrating oil first, if that don't do it then use a propane torch to heat the surrounding area.

Patience, they'll give up sooner or later :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 08 Oct 2008 17:40 by steell.

More
08 Oct 2008 21:37 - 08 Oct 2008 21:47 #240860 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I cant get to head bolts on my kz750
aschnelle wrote:

I have a 1980 kz750 twin, and i am in the process of replacing the head gasket. the cam cover is bolted to the head, and there are plugs that cover 4 bolts. I have tried everything to get the plugs loose without breaking them. Any suggestions?

You have found the wellspring of info:

The camcover bolts thread into the round caps that cover the hidden head bolts.

They will be so tight they won't move.

Use a 10mm open end wrench as a lever by laying a wooden stick (paint stir sticks) across where it is near the bolt and allows you to get some lever up pull on the head of the bolt.

PUT RAGS IN THE OPENING SO PARTS DON'T END UP IN THE OIL PAN!

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Oct 2008 21:47 by bountyhunter.

More
08 Oct 2008 21:40 #240861 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I cant get to head bolts on my kz750
steell wrote:

He's talking about the four aluminum plugs that cover the four inner head bolts.

It's been awhile since I pulled a 750 twin head off, but I think there are threaded holes in the plugs that you can thread a screw into in order to pull them out. I'm sure you know that you have to remove the cam/valve cover first. And don't forget to remove the two outside head bolts that go in from the bottom on the outside in front of, and behind, the cam chain gallery.

I recall it's two 10mm bolts in the rear and one in the front threaded up into the head.

1979 KZ-750 Twin