Water coming out of Exhaust

More
05 Oct 2008 04:32 #240209 by HerrDeacon
Water coming out of Exhaust was created by HerrDeacon
Lately when starting my bike I'm noticing a bit of water spraying out of the exhaust. It comes out where the tail pipe connects to the headers. I first thought it was gas but it seems to be just water. Where is this coming from? The bike is not riden in the rain and is stored indoors. Is this normal? I never noticed it before but just wondering if it's because of the colder temperatures this time of year is causing a bit of condensation in the pipes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2008 05:21 #240213 by robjonrik
Replied by robjonrik on topic Water coming out of Exhaust
Water is a normal byproduct of a hydrocarbon fuel burning in an oxygen atmosphere. It usually travels as steam with the exhaust gases. Normally a small amount will condense in your exhaust system in the off-cycle. Your factory exhaust has drain holes in the piping so the water finds its way to the outer muffler shell which has a small drain hole at the lowest point.

What is abnormal is water appears to be collecting in your exhaust system and not draining. This could be a result of:
  • 1. rust or debris in the factory exhaust blocking one of the drain paths, or
    2. an aftermarket exhaust without a drain hole or angled so the drain hole is high.
  • If ridden regularly, the water is more of a nuisance than a problem. It will add to premature failure of the exhaust system, but at a slow rate.
    If parked in a cool-cold garage for long periods could result in a small pool of water collecting and rusting out a low point in the exhaust.

More
    05 Oct 2008 07:36 #240229 by HerrDeacon
    Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Water coming out of Exhaust
    Thanks Rob. I never noticed the stock holes in the exhaust. Where about's is it? This past winter I wrapped the headers, now I'm wondering if I covered these holes. I only started noticing this recently though. The bike is stored in a heated garage.

More
    05 Oct 2008 21:32 #240327 by robjonrik
    Replied by robjonrik on topic Water coming out of Exhaust
    I am told I might be dating myself, but my mufflers have a 1/16 inch hole in the bottom end of the rear plate in the muffler. I have been informed that this has been omitted on newer designs. I guess that condensation collection in the exhaust system is another form of cost cutting/planned obsolescence.

More
    06 Oct 2008 06:30 #240361 by trippivot
    Replied by trippivot on topic Water coming out of Exhaust
    1 lb of water vapor per gallon of gas!!!

if you use methanol blend MORE will collect and spill out the pipe!!!

methanol is a hygroscopic fluid = (collects water)

normal byproduct of combustion here. drill a drain hole to prevent rust.( if it bothers you)

More
    06 Oct 2008 11:17 #240396 by bountyhunter
    Replied by bountyhunter on topic Water coming out of Exhaust
    Condensation is normal, it's also what rots out the exhaust system from the inside by creating rust.

1979 KZ-750 Twin