78 650 B - Cam chain jumped a tooth - how to fix?

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
30 Sep 2008 09:57 #239444 by KOOL RYDER
So I started the bike the other day and the cam chain tensioner had come loose. It sounded horrible like a chain saw on my valve cover.

So, I tightened it back up and started the bike again (with the friggen electric start) and it was still misearbly loud and grinding. I repeated the procedure and it sounded fine.

I took the bike for a ride assuming everything was fine and it died 2 blocks from the house. It would not start for 5 mins and then it came to life on full choke. If I gave it any throtle at all it would die. So I idled it home on full choke.

Basically I am thinking the the cam chain has jumped a tooth and that I am in for a little work. It may have frigged up the valves.

Anyways, can someone help explain to me how to check the valve timimg? I have a new valve cover gasket and I need to buy a torque wrench.

In addition, how can I tell if it did jump a tooth? Is thee anyway to tell? As you can see I am desparate for some advice.

I plan on uploading a bunch of images once I crack the valve cover.

Please advise. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
30 Sep 2008 12:04 #239466 by hugo
I personally, doubt that, even when the cam chain tensioner loose, it would skip a tooth.

But anyway, I have adjusted valves in my 750 and the intake and exhaust sprockets have timing marks. You open the ignition cover and turn the crankshaft clockwise with a socket, until the TDC mark on the rotor aligns with the mark on the crankcase. Then the intake and exhaust timing marks on sprockets should be parallel, oposite, and flush with the valve head top, without the valve cover. Also my service manuals tells me the chain links count between marks.

This is is just a general procedure; you should get a service manual to do this. My 750 has a Hy_Vo chain, and pad guides, instead of little sprockets, so my numbers are probably not same for 650. If taking off the valve cover might as well check valve clearances, and any other problems that may show.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Sep 2008 13:08 #239475 by mark1122
after youve checked the chain and cams for correct timing, u find that is out, and have to correct it.u should then do a compression test to see if the valves are bent.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
30 Sep 2008 17:39 - 30 Sep 2008 17:40 #239523 by steell
Or you could just forget messing with the valves, cams, and cam chain, and fix the problem with your bike instead :)

You're not getting fuel to the carbs, find out why and fix it. Then go riding, if the weather is nice enough where you live :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 30 Sep 2008 17:40 by steell.