Fabricating a custom exhaust

More
26 Sep 2008 13:22 #238796 by Born Dead
Fabricating a custom exhaust was created by Born Dead
Hey all,

Been a while since I've checked the board due to a tumble I took on my bike. About 3 weeks ago, 4 bud's and myself were on our way to a bike show about a half hour out of town. We decided to take some back country roads. Moving at a good click I came upon a turn which apparently was flooded out a few years ago and not fixed but patched..... Well thanks to our tax dollars going to road repairs......Ha! My bike is a 76 KZ900 bobber which at the time sat about 4 inches from the ground, a little low but in the last 3 years of riding hard and fast never caused me an issue until this night. The road had a dip, bump, dip, in it and when I hit the bump it sent me into a ditch and flipped over a culvert and came 2 feet from another culvert which would have killed me instantly. Well after the ambulance showed, they thought I shattered my right side of my face, broke my neck, back and both legs. Well after a night in Emergency, I walked out with a few stitches and a major concusion. Lady luck was in my corner that night. Let's just say I can take a beating...
Anyway, my reason for posting is now my bike needs some minor work believe it or not. I need a new headlight and to fix a ding on my tank since my face cushioned the fall..:laugh: So the 4 into 1 exhaust has to go since it sit's a little low for these roads around here. So this is what I'm doing. Taking 1 and 2 into 1 and 3 and 4 into 1 brining the headers into a 2 into 1 and the 1 being a straight pipe with a tunable baffle.
My question to some of you motor guys is will there be any issues with this idea?
Thanks in advance and be safe out there.
BD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
26 Sep 2008 14:24 #238813 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Fabricating a custom exhaust
Don't mean to take this off topic, and I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I gotta ask...were you wearing a helmet? :huh:

I'm glad you survived okay. Scary stuff. :S

West Linn, OR

More
27 Sep 2008 05:10 - 27 Sep 2008 05:11 #238895 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic Fabricating a custom exhaust
Yes I was wearing a helmet. I usually wear a pot, but for some reason I grabbed the open face that night. Only thing that saved me.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2008 05:11 by Born Dead.

More
27 Sep 2008 05:22 #238897 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Fabricating a custom exhaust
First off, glad you walked away from that night...

Whoa, this is going to be an interesting topic.

Other than this being a real bitch of a project (fabrication & welding) I'm wondering WTF this is going to do in the regards of tuning. In reviewing postings the carb section, just by changing the exhaust cans or baffles has required re-jetting and carb tuning.

I can only imagine this would be somewhat along those lines and if not calculated correctly I could see where this would become a nightmare. Most probably I'm wrong about this...

Also, what does this do in the regards to getting this smog checked...

Again, an interesting topic indeed, can;t wait to see others thoughts and replies.

Definitely keep us posted with images.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Sep 2008 05:45 #238904 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Fabricating a custom exhaust
Glad your ok, went down myself over a year ago and it's a scary thing. Did your world run in slow motion as it happened? Back to your project, found this in ebay. Is this kinda what your talking about?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2008 06:14 #238907 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic Fabricating a custom exhaust
Bluemeanie wrote:

Glad your ok, went down myself over a year ago and it's a scary thing. Did your world run in slow motion as it happened? Back to your project, found this in ebay. Is this kinda what your talking about? [img size=800] kzrider.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/4_2_1.jpg[/i
mg]

Glad to hear you're ok also. No my world didn't go in slow motion since I don't remember anything about the crash. I was out when my buddy got to me.
Thanks for the pic, it's along the lines I'm doing just not with the crotch rocket muffler's and alot cleaner on the headers. As far as tuning goes, I'll rejet the carb as needed and get the tuning dialed in. Not a concern, just wondering if there is anyone else who may have taken up such a task?