GPz550 #3 Rod Knock Probable Cause

More
26 Sep 2008 22:15 #238873 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic GPz550 #3 Rod Knock Probable Cause
We "flute' the rod journal oil holes to keep more oil at the bearing surface. Corey, did we do your crank on the last project?

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
27 Sep 2008 08:01 #238920 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic GPz550 #3 Rod Knock Probable Cause
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.

Jay,
No, I didn't send you the crank or rods, but that's now on the list of things to send in. Can't afford cutting that corner, if I plan on a complete rebuild. Overkill? Might be, but I'd like to do this once, and right.

Looking at the other rod bearings, what does anyone think caused the pitting? Could it just be poor oil? Nothing looks overheated. I'm not the original owner either.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
27 Sep 2008 08:16 #238922 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPz550 #3 Rod Knock Probable Cause
My $0.02

Pitting is caused by chemical action due to acid build up in the oil from extended drain interval.

Physical damage due to dirt/carbon in the oil caused by oil bypassing the filter from extended drain intervals.

Perhaps previous owner didn't realize that oil changes were required periodically??

KD9JUR

• CoreyClough
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
27 Sep 2008 08:35 #238925 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic GPz550 #3 Rod Knock Probable Cause
Thanks for the 2 cents.

Another thing is with a lot of our bikes, some with very low mileage, is oil breakdown, I'm a big fan of changing that oil and filter ASAP after buying a used bike. Oil, being lighter in weight than water, will allow moisture/gunk/muck to settle in the bottom of the oil pan, and when first started, if there's enough, it gets sucked up, and displaces it everywhere. Fuel from internally leaking carbs, will also break down the oil. So much working against clean and good lubricating bearing surfaces here. Kind of makes you want to go out and change the oil and filter after reading this? I did mine on the current engine in my ride, just yesterday.

Dropping the oil pan to inspect what's in there, or what it looks like, should be high on anyone's "to do" list.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp