I guess I'm using the wrong oil? clutch slippage

More
24 Sep 2008 18:10 #238523 by ghunt81
Well, I got my bike sorted out (see my other post) and once I got the idle and stuff all set up, the bike runs great, probably better than it did before.

I noticed that in fourth and fifth gear, I can hardly give it any throttle or the clutch slips. It did not slip before, and I did change the oil while I was going everything else.

Just looked at the other "clutch slipping" thread, I used Havoline 10W-40, which I guess is the wrong stuff as I'm sure it has no friction modifiers in it.

Is there any other auto parts store oil I can use, or some sort of friction modifier I can add? (I'm guessing the additive for clutch-type limited slips won't work?) Or, am I gonna have to go to the local motorcycle shop and fork out big bucks for "motorcycle oil?"

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2008 18:18 #238525 by Beanie
I believe what you want is oil without friction modifiers. Nowadays it seems like they're doing something weird with all the new oils, i.e. Energy Conserving. I just found at Pepboys, Castrol 4T "for motorcycles" at $4 a quart. It is SG, SH rated instead of the SL, SM rating all the regular stuff on the shelf has.

I haven't changed it though so no reviews yet.

-Brian
1983 KZ550C Limited

More
24 Sep 2008 18:31 #238526 by RonKZ650
The oil isn't causing it. What is I haven't a clue though.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Sep 2008 18:33 #238529 by ghunt81
The oil ISN'T causing it? :huh:

More
24 Sep 2008 18:37 #238531 by ronjones
Crap, are you sayin' that all "straight" oil is gonna have friction modifiers? I've just been usin whatever straight oil (20/40) is on sale. I haven't changed oil since last fall.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
25 Sep 2008 00:40 #238566 by almarconi
Replied by almarconi on topic I guess I'm using the wrong oil? clutch slippage
Any of the multi-weight diesel oils will work well in our bikes. I've been using the shell rotella 15w40. I usually get it at Sams Club for around $30 for 3 gallons. You can also get it at Walmart.

ghunt81 - Your clutch slippage is probably due to worn out/tired clutch springs. Have you tried to adjust the freeplay in the cable? When was the last time the clutch was serviced? I recently replaced the fiber plates and springs on my bike, what a world of difference. Before I could barely get the bike to go over 50mph. The engine would rev up but the bike would not move. After the parts replacement the bikes runs great.

1981 KZ550C LTD (SOLD)
1980 GS750L
1982 KZ750N1 Spectre (New Project)

More
25 Sep 2008 06:05 #238579 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I guess I'm using the wrong oil? clutch slippage
ronjones wrote:

Crap, are you sayin' that all "straight" oil is gonna have friction modifiers? I've just been usin whatever straight oil (20/40) is on sale. I haven't changed oil since last fall.

The oils that have the friction modifiers are the ones with the starburst symbol on the bottle. These would be 5-20, 5-30, etc. Oils in the 30, 10-40, 20-50 range do not have this symbol and are fine for our bikes. I live in SoCal where the weather ranges from maybe 40 up to 100+ so I use 20-50 with great results. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
25 Sep 2008 06:29 #238584 by ghunt81
Well, last night I adjusted the clutch again after i got home. I guess I must have had it adjusted wrong because I rode it in to work this morning, I was cranking on it pretty good in fourth gear uphill and it didn't slip, and then tried fifth on a flat surface and it didn't seem to be slipping either.

Guess I'll see what happens, if nothing else I suppose a clutch job could be a winter project.