Engine cutting in and out baddddd above 3500 rpm's

More
23 Sep 2008 20:53 #238409 by Kawman
Hey guys, I have a 78 KZ650 that cuts in and out very bad above 3500 rpm's. There have been a (few) times that it has ran normal. Doesn't make sense. Everything is either new or checks out normal. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. I just don't know what else to do besides go internally. Engine compression is around 170 in all cylinders. This is my second set of carbs. I've been through all the jetting and adjustments over and over. Valves have been adjusted. I've used dyna ignition and I've used points with no change. I have new dyna coils. I have 11.8 volts at the coils. I also have a stumble off idle when warm. Any suggestions before I give up ??:(

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2008 21:01 #238411 by PLUMMEN
is the advance on your ignition working?put timing light on and check would be the easiest starting point for me ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Sep 2008 21:03 #238414 by Kawman
Ignition advance is working perfectly.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
23 Sep 2008 21:06 #238416 by PLUMMEN
hang on my oldbraindont work that fast anymore!:laugh:

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
23 Sep 2008 21:07 #238417 by ran429
it can also be wires coming off the ignition pickup coils or points.
My old kz750 did this on 4 of the ignition pickup coils i purchased or recieved gracefully from other KZ owners.
I finally removed & replaced the wires off one, and it ran great afterwards.

More
23 Sep 2008 21:09 #238418 by PLUMMEN
is it getting enough fuel ?

More
23 Sep 2008 21:15 #238419 by Kawman
There is one thing I haven't checked. The exhaust gaskets. I don't hear any leaks but I've noticed that after a vehicle in the other lane goes past me the engine really looses power even more.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
23 Sep 2008 21:17 #238420 by Kawman
Totally getting fuel.

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

More
24 Sep 2008 04:31 - 24 Sep 2008 04:52 #238431 by Patton
Kawman wrote:

... 78 KZ650 that cuts in and out very bad above 3500 rpm's. There have been a (few) times that it has ran normal. Doesn't make sense... also have a stumble off idle when warm....

Each coil of course requires a continuous uninterrupted voltage supply.

Could test for possible intermittant wiring short supplying voltage to coils -- by running a temporary new wire direct from positive battery terminal to coil primaries. Then test ride for effect. Don't leave temporary wire connected, as that's the same as leaving ignition switch turned ON. This test is akin to the wg coil mod.

There's likely a connector under the tank (1 wire in, 2 wires out) providing positive voltage to the coils. It's possible to have a non-visible internally frayed wire causing intermittant voltage to the coil inside the wire from the connector to the coil. Could test with ohmmeter for continuity or test with engine running by manipulating and wiggling the wire.

As to the stumble off idle when warm -- often caused by less than perfect pilot circuit in carbs (air or fuel passage or both partally obstructed, or over-rich mixture due to a defective pilot jet, or too large pilot jet). Could also be caused by enrichener circuit failing to completely close when choke is OFF (for whatever reason).

Would assure air filter is clean, clear and unobstructed, and not over-oiled. Could test run without air filter to determine if stumble off idle persists .

Could also try leaning the pilot circuit. Side located air adjustment screws would be turned out counter-clockwise to allow more air. Bottom-located mixture screws would be turned in clockwise to reduce mixture volume.

What plug wires and caps are being used and what is their condition? Hope new Dyna solid wire core plug wires with built-in caps are already in place.

No specific mention yet of whether using brand-new spark plugs of correct size. Thinking NGKB8ES or maybe 7ES.

Has plug reading been done? How do they look?

Just thoughts. Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Sep 2008 04:52 by Patton.

More
24 Sep 2008 05:44 #238438 by BSKZ650
in addition to things mentioned, have you checked the screen in the tank, may have some crap on it that is not letting enough fuel flow

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Sep 2008 05:47 #238439 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine cutting in and out baddddd above 3500 rpm's
If you are using a fuel filter, replace it and make sure it is installed correctly this time. Sounds like you are using one and it is installed backwards. May also be a vacuum lock. Next time the bike starts cutting out, pop the gas cap open. If the bike quits cutting out, you have a cap venting issue. If these things fail to resolve the issue, start looking at the ignition system.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Sep 2008 05:55 #238576 by Kawman
Thanks for all your tips george. My fuel filter is fine and installed correctly. I did change out some of my air screws and it ran fine. Is that not weird. I'll ride it some more and let you guys know what happens. Thanks

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR