Dead battery and loud knock on LHS?

More
21 Sep 2008 16:36 - 22 Sep 2008 07:35 #238085 by Exitpupil
Dead battery and loud knock on LHS? was created by Exitpupil
Went for a ride today and my battery went dead. First I noticed the turn signals would not blink (I now know due to low voltage)then the bike studdered and died. Tried to restart and found the battery was dead. I got cables and jumped it off and it had a horrible knock on the LHS so I immediately shut it down. I had not noticed a knock when the bike first died. Any guesses as to what would make the loud knock before I start tearing into it tomorrow? Thanks, this forum has been very helpful. Will Piatt My bad forgot the bike is a 79 KZ1000 LTD

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle
Last edit: 22 Sep 2008 07:35 by Exitpupil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 05:03 #238163 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Dead battery and loud knock on LHS?
if you started it off a running car,, you may have hurt the starter or some other electrical parts.
it sounds like you need to charge the battery and try it on its own, then find out why its not charging

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
22 Sep 2008 05:21 #238164 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Dead battery and loud knock on LHS?
Not sure which bike you have... SO here goes...

If battery died while riding and no known poor grounding previously, as Ron mentioned stater and or starter might have been damaged during jump start.

The starter/gearing and stater sit on the left side of the engine casing in the KZ900 and 1000 bikes. Might be something there.

Remove stater case and inspect. It should be visually easy to recognize if the stater had been destroyed.

Remove starter and gearing and inspect for metal shavings and broken gearing etc... If all looks good and if bike equipped so, start with kick starter. Listen and be prepared to shut her down.

Most likely one or both of these items...

Please post your findings/results for others knowledge.

Unfortunate, sorry to hear about this,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
22 Sep 2008 13:58 #238220 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Dead battery and loud knock on LHS?
Follow up: I charged the battery and electric started the engine. It rattled bad for about 5 seconds then the knock stopped. I wonder if the kick starter was dragging since I used it for the first time in years when the battery died? I cleaned and checked all the wire connections and the system checked out to be charging now, so I think all is well.

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle