just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin

More
19 Sep 2008 09:32 #237778 by steveks
just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin was created by steveks
Any advice or suggestions on following would be great.

Good shape, not too rusty, engine sounds ok, tons of power, tires less than 1 yr old, new gas tank, rides and drives good up to 40 anyway (I want to go through it in more detail before freeway speeds). 12k miles. I paid $525.

Right cylinder running much hotter than left. Is this a timing problem or something else?

Nothing happens when the starter button is pushed. So I jumped started the starter, it didn't want to turn over very bad. Any suggestions for rebuilt starters for this bike?

It kick started ok after I figured out it doesn't need any choke.

Not crazy about straight pipes. Too loud. any suggestions for mufflers?

Front is out of alignment a little. I believe can straighten back up. What else should I look for since it got whacked hard enough to change alignment?

It does have a salvage title, which doesn't bother me too much after inspecting the bike. Should it??

Carbs are running rough. I have seaform at about 2-3 times recommended concentration in there right now. I also plan to rebuild sometime. Based on my other old 80s bikes, I plan to set carbs at richest setting. Is that recommended or is a different setting better?

The seat is coming apart at the seems and is just flat. Any suggestions for new seats?

The console is messed up. Tach doesn't work which I don't care a lot about. Any suggestions on new dials?

Thanks a lot.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2008 10:05 #237785 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
Welcome, Steve.

I'm no expert on the twins, but did look for one before getting my first 650 several years ago. One pipe hotter than the other probably means that there is some crud in the carb that is blocking the fuel delivery. Cleaning them is probably in your future.

For mufflers, Z1 Enterprises or JC Whitney may have something.

Salvage title, well, that'll depend on your state of residence as it seems they're all different. If, as I infer from your username, you're in Kansas, then you may want to contact the folks in Topeka as I've gotten better answers from them than at my local DMV.

Enjoy! I'm sure Steell or other will be along to help you dial things in.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
19 Sep 2008 13:31 #237808 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
MAC makes the aftermarket pipe sets for the old 750 twins. They are not great, I have one on mine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Sep 2008 15:05 #237819 by steell
Replied by steell on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
Ugliest pipes I've ever seen on a 750 twin! :woohoo:

Check out Dunstall Decibel replica mufflers, there are usually at least one set listed on eBay at any time, and they are available from lots of other places.

KD9JUR

• bubbap
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
19 Sep 2008 15:23 - 19 Sep 2008 15:24 #237821 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
Salvage titles are no problem in Kansas just register it like a normal vehicle. I got a set of 4 - 2 mac exhaust new from an ebay store they moved to another online store instead, I can't find it though. They sound the same as stock except at idle they sound lower. They may fit your 750 I believe. As far as the seat goes you might be able to have an auto body repair shop that can redo it. Of course there is always ebay. That's were the majority of my parts came from. I can tell you from experience somebody can sink a lot of dough into getting a bike restored. You can see my exhaust in a pic I just posted the other day in the gallery.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2008 15:24 by bubbap.

More
19 Sep 2008 20:33 #237867 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
steell wrote:

Ugliest pipes I've ever seen on a 750 twin! :woohoo:...

Yep, pretty much have ta'agree w/the ugly pipes, macs would even look better. Git a 17 tooth front sprocket, if ya wanna drop your rpm's on the hiway. Hot cyl may be runnin lean. Seafoam might help but a good cleanin' might be better. The only other bolt on seat pan is the '83 K (LTD)model.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
22 Sep 2008 20:41 #238271 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
The starter thing is common to the big twin,I gave up on mine and just kick it, mine runs the stock head pipes with very small glasspaks I got from Advance Auto for 17bucks apiece, they measure 1.75 inlet/outlet and 17 in long, sound super, painted them Hitemp black (came red), I have a good seat if your interested, mine has a 99 suzuki marauder solo seat(there are a few pics in the gallery if you look)the gages from most KZs fron that era work(400s 650s 750s 900s ect)might have some of them too,rebuild the carbs

More
22 Sep 2008 20:43 #238273 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic just purchased 1982 KZ 750 twin
Oh yeah fix that front end its dangerous to ride that way, I know