need help

More
14 Sep 2008 21:10 #237181 by moorem
need help was created by moorem
i have a 79 kz1000e .was riding home about a 40 mile ride,as i exited noticed bike was leaking from stater cover by the time i made it home i had less than a qaurt of oil in the bike. repaired the leak refilled with oil,but now the bike had a knock sounded just like a rod.i tore the moter down but all the rod bearings and mains seem to be tight,there is a little side to side slop in the cams but not much.so if any advise what else to look for pleas help. i did notice a lot of carbon build up on pistons and in the valve chamber :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 06:33 #237210 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need help
Sounds like the seal on your stator cover was leaking? Is that the case? Wouldn't think that that much oil would come out suddenly. Did you examine the stator itself to see if something came loose?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 Sep 2008 07:35 - 15 Sep 2008 07:42 #237217 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic need help
moorem wrote:

i have a 79 kz1000e .was riding home about a 40 mile ride,as i exited noticed bike was leaking from stater cover by the time i made it home i had less than a qaurt of oil in the bike. repaired the leak refilled with oil,but now the bike had a knock sounded just like a rod.i tore the moter down but all the rod bearings and mains seem to be tight,there is a little side to side slop in the cams but not much.so if any advise what else to look for pleas help. i did notice a lot of carbon build up on pistons and in the valve chamber :S

repaired the leak -- more details, please? :unsure:

And what was the oil level just before starting out on the 40 mile ride?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 07:42 by Patton.

More
15 Sep 2008 17:48 #237275 by moorem
Replied by moorem on topic need help
i didnt notice it was leaking till i exited highway so was running it pretty hard didnt notice leak untill to late

More
15 Sep 2008 17:49 #237276 by moorem
Replied by moorem on topic need help
i didnt check but it may have started leaking that morning on the way to work and just didnt notice