Timimg problem

More
10 Sep 2008 18:40 #236626 by EEcor999
Timimg problem was created by EEcor999
I am having a problem with my timing on my KZ GPz 550 D. I replaced the head gasket on it and had the head and valves done by a machine shop. all was good till I went to time it. I adjusted the #1-4 to TDC and put my front cam to be flush with the front of the head, I then installed the intake according to the book that said to count from the front mark to the back mark between the 43 and 44th pin on the chain. even though when I did this the intake cam was then not flush with the head it was more below the head. tried that backfiring and not starting. so then readjusted it to be flush with the head, still same. I then thought that it was 180 out so I put all marks correct and then turned crank 1 full turn then adjusted cams again, same process, and again same thing. not starting and backfiring. Any help for this would be GREAT, I am stuck. I checked spark wires and all but all looks good.

PLEASE HELP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2008 20:03 #236637 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Timimg problem
You can't install the cams 180 degrees out, they're 180 degrees out every other revolution (they turn half crank speed) :)

Bet you removed the coils to remove and replace the head, and suspect you got the wires from the points/igniter to the coils switched.

KD9JUR

More
11 Sep 2008 03:33 #236663 by EEcor999
Replied by EEcor999 on topic Timimg problem
I did remove the coil packs but I did make sure that they were put back on the same side as I took them off from. I even loked at the book to make sure that the wires were going to the correct side, and they are correct. I checked this like 5 times...LOL...
By the way I do not know if the year makes a difference but it is an 81 KZ GPz 550 D. From what I have done I really have no idea on why this is not running, I mean all is perfect as far as I can see but being that it is NOT running it is not perfect or correct...LOL...

More
11 Sep 2008 04:06 #236664 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Timimg problem
99.5% probability it's electrical.

Since it's so easy to do, swap the wires around.

The coil that's hooked to 1&4 plugs, move those wires to 2&3 plugs, and the coil that's hooked to 2&3 plugs, swap to 1&4 plugs.

It will probably start then.

KD9JUR

More
11 Sep 2008 05:56 #236673 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Timimg problem
Better yet, look at your coils which you have double checked. Make sure the hot wire is hooked up from the kill switch. It will be yellow/red, pink or red. Make sure that the BLACK wire goes to the coil which has the 1 and 4 spark plug wires connected to the 1 & 4 spark plugs. The GREEN wire is the 2 & 3 coil wire... you might consider checking voltage at the coils using a multimeter. Put your POS (red) probe on the voltage connection (already described wire colors) and the NEG (black) probe on an engine bolt and turn the key on with the meter in VDC scale in a scale low enough to read 12VDC. Make sure your coils are powered. If you have been fiddling with the bike there is the possibility that the battery is dead.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Sep 2008 06:24 #236678 by EEcor999
Replied by EEcor999 on topic Timimg problem
I will make them checks when I get home tonight, I will also swap the 1,4 with the 2,3 wires and just see if it will start then, that will be a start. I have to crank the bike when checking the voltage on the coils correct? I do have a charger on the battery because of the fact that I knew that the battery would be low from cranking it so much. The wires that are going to the coils I wrote down when disconnecting them and also looked in the book and it said that the colors that I have connected are correct, I forget what they are but I do know that the right side + is yellow/red and then black for the -, but again I will swap them just to see if it will at least start for a min or so that will be a great help.

Thanks