Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side

More
08 Sep 2008 20:11 #236249 by Scott67
Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side was created by Scott67
Bought a 78 kz 1000 with a 1075 kit in it. Bike has all the paperwork from shop when done several years back. Looks like they put EVERYTHING in new. Not sure how many miles but wouldnt think it would be that much since the bike has set alot in the last 3 years. The bike runs fine but at anything less than 2k on the tach it makes a rattle noise in the lower end.(left side) Havent pulled the cover off yet for fear off making it worse. It has all the goodies like, 29 smooths, dyna coils, electronic dist.(instead of points)etc. It will also pop once in a while and the idle will raise and lower if under 2k as well. Think its internal or just the carbs have aleak somewhere? Any thoughts??
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 21:26 #236268 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side
It might be the stator rotor was not loctited and this is what you are hearing.

To check,lean the bike on it's right side to get the oil away from the stator/rotor side, have a new gasket on hand as the old one will probably tear,remove the left side engine cover and have a look see as to what is loose. Check for play in the crankshaft also.

Another thought is the magnets are comming loose on the rotor and rattling(I read about this a month or so ago and the guy used a high strength epoxy to fix the loose magnets).

The red Loctite #222 is a more permanent fix that requires heat for removal and blue #242 can be removed with tools but is vibration resistant.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 Sep 2008 23:14 #236281 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side
It could also be the cam chain making the noise. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Check the tension first because it's easy and free.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 Sep 2008 08:23 #236321 by Scott67
Replied by Scott67 on topic Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side
Whats the easiest way to check the tension on the chain?

More
09 Sep 2008 15:11 #236370 by Scott67
Okay, so heres where i'm at. Did the cam chain adjustment and still making the noise. Pulled cover off and checked stator with magnets. They look new and good. Now Im not a mechanic so please bare with me. The larger sprocket I belive is attached to the crank? Correct? Is there suppose to be any play in that area? I beleive its call the rotor, then there is a collar looking ring with some holes, then the large sprocket. The collar and the sprocket both have side to side play. Is this normal,? Or could this be my noise? Any help would be Great!! Thanks!!!

More
09 Sep 2008 18:26 #236419 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side
On the left side of the engine the item with the magnets is called the rotor and is attached to the crankshaft. This rotates and with it's magnetic field sweeping through the stator(the item with the wires wound around in it. Looks like a spoked frame)it produces up to 70 volts alternating current when checked out of the circuit at about 4k rpm.

The battery cannot use alternating current so that's the job of the rectifier/regulator. It converts the A.C. to direct current(D.C.) and charges the battery and runs the various systems on the bike by regulating how much is used or wasted as heat.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 Sep 2008 18:44 #236422 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Kz 1000 Lower end noise on left side
i ll try to help.....the cam chain adj should be made with the chain in certain position...others here can help with that....if that was done correctly then you might be in right area as far as noise....does your electric starter function properly? engages and disengages with no funky noises?
if you have funky noises, your in the right area.
the starter clutch is bolted to the alt rotor.(the magnet thing)with three allen head screws which has behind it a large ring gear, the hub of which goes inside the starter clutch. behind this large ring gear is a rubber damper, which comes in 3 thicknesses depending on clearance..(pricey little buggers). the large ring gear rides on a needle bearing set-up...still with me? that large ring gear meshes with an idler gear that in turn meshes with the starter motor...i ll cut to the chase...
you are going to have to pull that cover. if it leaks , now is the time to do the grommet also.
i just did mine as well as the starter clutch..
make sure the bolt holding the rotor on is tight. if it isnt( as mine was falling out),you can probably just pull off assy and inspect clutch and rotor. locktite assy bolt when you put it back in.
i read the clymer manual about 3 times for this deal and when i took it apart, i had a semi -clue..it really isnt that hard....lots of folks here to help..........keith

More
09 Sep 2008 18:58 #236427 by Scott67
Thanks guys. The bike starts and rides fine. Low rpm and when letting the clutch out I get the noise. Took cover off and bolt on rotor was TIGHT. Rotor and stator look good. Tried to take rotor off, but the bolt the book told me to use didnt work so I put it all back together so I dont loose anything overnight. Rhode it again and still the same. Hauls ass, but just makes the noise when, you know..
Guess I will try doing the cam chain again using the marks this time. Is it possible its the clutch i'm hearing? The guy I bought it from said it was just put in.. Dont know what to do now:(

More
09 Sep 2008 19:10 #236432 by keith1
funny, the book told me to use a fork top bolt to pull rotor and i pulled every bolt i saw and
no good!!!!!i even pulled the one holding the fork spring in!!!! that was fun to put back by myself..
i ended up at autozone and renting a power steering
puller set that had the right thread as z-1 was closed for the night and red line was on sabbatical.......i guess now you are on the clutch cover.....have fun and good luck.....btw...where are you located?

More
09 Sep 2008 20:11 #236443 by Scott67
Yeah, I tried the fork spring bolt too. It was FUN putting it back by myself!! I'm still not sure if its the clutch or lower end, but will try again tomorrow. thanks for all the help. May need to chat again before its over. Im in Omaha NE. You anywhere close??

More
10 Sep 2008 14:12 #236582 by keith1
no, rhode island.....i thought the way you spelled "rhode".........well it was just a wrong guess