oil passage o-rings on a KZ1100B2

More
07 Sep 2008 22:47 #236086 by ratvespa
oil passage o-rings on a KZ1100B2 was created by ratvespa
hi, new to forum, I usaly post over at kawasakimotorcycles.org forums.

Im looking for some input on a 82 KZ1100B2 engine I'm building.

I got the cylinders on today, was getting ready to drop on the head, and noticed the new veserah complete gasket set is not all the complete. It did not have the 4 o-rings that go between the head and cylinders on the 4 corner studs. I have 2 from when the engine was taken apart (not by me) and they are in pretty bad shape. Weird thing is, my factory kawi manual says nothing about the o-rings, the clymer manual says it needs them, and when I checked an exploded view on parts fish it says it needs 4 total. So my question is, do I have to run the kawi o-rings? They are like 7.95 each, and the are not like a typical o-ring, they a taller than they are wider if you look at a cross section of them. So being the cheap mofo that I am, I was going to get some standard o-rings and throw them in, since this projects been take'n way too long and Im itch'n to ride it. But then my wife is like "well do you really want to take it apart again if it dont work? why not get the right part?"

Soo, should I order and wait another week for the kawi parts? or just find some o-rings with the same OD and height as the stock ones?

thanks for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 01:22 #236092 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic oil passage o-rings on a KZ1100B2
Listen to your wife...she is wise beyond her years...Mother Kawasaki put them there for a reason...and you are correct, the Vesrah kit doesn't include those:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
08 Sep 2008 13:48 #236173 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic oil passage o-rings on a KZ1100B2
I had a similar problem and found a place that sells a million O rings. I think they sell to plumbing supply companies. The guy "sampled" me the ones I needed because the quantity was so small. Saved my butt, Kawi didn't have the ones I needed. If you get them in Viton material, they are WAYYY better than standard material like kawi uses.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Sep 2008 13:50 #236174 by bountyhunter
ratvespa wrote:

noticed the new veserah complete gasket set is not all the complete. It did not have the 4 o-rings that go between the head and cylinders on the 4 corner studs.

Did you get valve guide seals in yours? The vesrah set I got didn't have them even though they claim they supply them in the kit.

Same advice: get Viton seals because they will last wayyyy longer than stock ones.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Sep 2008 18:36 #236218 by ratvespa
Replied by ratvespa on topic oil passage o-rings on a KZ1100B2
my kit came with the valve guide seals. I stopped by the kawi dealer for the o-rings today, 9.95 Each! and they wanted to charge me shipping to them! haha.

checked z1ent today, .90 cents! got 4 of them, and even with UPS 2 day shipping it was cheaper than the dealer or some of the online oem parts places.

I think this is the 3rd time z1ent has save my butt.

More
08 Sep 2008 22:29 #236278 by bountyhunter
ratvespa wrote:

my kit came with the valve guide seals. I stopped by the kawi dealer for the o-rings today, 9.95 Each! and they wanted to charge me shipping to them! haha.

Same price at my dealer... the kid at the parts desk is the one who directed me to the plumbing supply place that had a huge stock of O rings and I ended up getting them free....:laugh:

It's better to be lucky than smart....;)

1979 KZ-750 Twin