Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....

More
03 Sep 2008 19:51 #235376 by STINARKZ1K
Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel..... was created by STINARKZ1K
So I was on my 77 KZ1000 cruising down the road at a pretty good pace when all the sudden the engine just revs up and powerflow to the rear wheel is gone! I can shift the bike into any gear without touching the clutch with the bike running and it just sits there. I have taken the clutch discs and plates out, measured them and such....... all well on the good side of the service limit in the manual. I haven't taken the clutch basket out yet though. Anybody have any problem like this before?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2008 20:08 #235378 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Have you checked the cable,for PROPER adjustment?

Also,have you adjusted the clutch,at the adjuster(behind the small cover) on the left-side of the engine(sitting on the bike)?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
03 Sep 2008 20:29 #235383 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Sandy wrote:

Have you checked the cable,for PROPER adjustment?

Also,have you adjusted the clutch,at the adjuster(behind the small cover) on the left-side of the engine(sitting on the bike)?

Above..... and does clutch "feel" normal? Clutch lever feel ok? Any strange feeling or noises just before you lost it?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
03 Sep 2008 20:59 #235387 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
All the above, Plus

Without the engine running and with it in gear can you move the bike?
If you can take the side cover off and check for a loose sprocket nut and the sprocket just rolling on the threaded part of the shaft.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
03 Sep 2008 21:25 #235392 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Yes, the countershaft sprocket has come off. Been there, done that many a time. It always happens on deceleration like shifting down off a highway ramp, then no gears. Happens from using aftermarket sprockets with no hole for the lockwasher to lock into or not using the lock washer. After having this a few times, I insist on the proper sprocket and use the lockwasher.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Sep 2008 05:33 #235416 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Mine came off on the toll road in 5 o clock traffic,, sucked big time, in addition to the lock washer, I also use locktite

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Sep 2008 06:21 #235429 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
mine came off in the middle of my first ride after I got the bike finally fixed. And the worst part is that it came off with a fight threatening to ruin the bike again. Felt like my chain broke. The sprocket came all the way off and flew somewhere. And yes everybody Ron is right, the aftermarket does not come with the right holes for the assortment of lockwashers to lock down the sprocket, unless you modify the washers to work with the smaller holes. After loosing the first sprocket, and only lucky enough to be within a small distance of a friend who just happened to be home on that specific day, that was willing to give me a ride to the dealership that was 3 miles away from his home, 4 from your bike, and the dealer just happens to have that one sproket that you need for 38 bucks, you are gonna want that sprocket whether you like that price or not. Don't forget I had to borrow insufficient tools from the auto store and it was 85 degress already with my hot black jacket!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
04 Sep 2008 07:35 #235438 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Yep...been there too.
And it WAS from not using the proper locking washer,or an old one that should have been replaced.
I was lucky though,because the nut and the sprocket stayed inside the clutch cover.
This happened to me 3 times(over a 5 year period),before I figured out what I was doing wrong.:blush:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
04 Sep 2008 11:32 #235480 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
This happens to everybody! My last one was a few months ago. I had to fashion my own lockwasher as I had an aftermarket sprocket, but this was after-the-incident. :blush:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
04 Sep 2008 13:20 #235494 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Bike Runs, no power to rear wheel.....
Nice to hear I'm not the only one. :P

Mine popped off and went bub by while the sprocket spun on the output shaft. Probably right as i decelerated cresting the hills out side of town.

Sucked figuring out WTF at the bottom of the hill away from life support, no cell coverage at this spot. Had to abandon the bike and hitch a ride home to pick up the truck. Luckily it was still there when I came back and a bro came by to help me load it up.

Needed to machine a few mm off the sprocket to give more threads to keep the stock lock nut on the output shaft. Plus used red lock tight.

Overall a PITA I don't want to go through very often.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST