81 kz440ltd idle's on one cylinder. please help!!

More
27 Aug 2008 20:54 #234358 by kz44081
i have been fighting this bike for weeks now eliminating diff little problems. so here is where i am at. the bike has new coil, carbs have been rebuilt and cleaned many times, float levels are ok, valves adjusted,new plugs and wires. so the bike starts up and runs with full choke i can shut choke off and it stays running. but the right cylinder is clearly hotter than the left.i can pull the plug wire while running and no change(unlike at 5k-6k rpms where u can hear left cylinder cuts in and out while i pull the plug wire) left pipe blows cold air like its not firing at idle. if i rev around 15k-2k rpms left pipe starts popping/backfiring then it seems like it fully kicks in and reves up to 6k0-7k rpms on its own. so i figure the left cylinder is not getting fuel at idle, right? when i pull the left plug its normal and dry. i mean i am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars but this is new. theirs not to much to this and but im missing something. any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2008 06:23 #234575 by kz44081
Can noone help? I have also sprayed wd40 allover the carbs and no change. Im I need of assistance.

More
29 Aug 2008 06:42 #234580 by BSKZ650
if the plug is dry and you are positive you are getting fire at all times to the plug, then its got to be fuel, something in the carb has got to be wrong. you may want to go to wiredgeorges site, he is the carb guru

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 Aug 2008 07:02 #234584 by Link14
I'm no expert, but I did spend alot of time troubleshooting my kz400.

1. At idle, when you pulled the left plug, did you hold it against the engine casing to see if you had a spark?

2. The rest of the symptoms seem to point to the pilot circuit on your left carb ( I know that's not what you wanted to hear). I'm not familiar with the carbs on the 440's but if you didn't pull the fuel/air mixture screw and try and get all the gunk out with carb cleaner and compressed air, it's almost impossible to clean that pilot circuit.

Good luck

More
29 Aug 2008 07:08 - 29 Aug 2008 07:12 #234585 by Patton
If not already done, would remove plugs, connect caps, hold plug bases against engine fins (to ground the plugs), spin engine over with ignition turned on, and inspect spark quality. This to indicate whether there's a good fat spark.

Perhaps the battery is not fully charged, resulting in insufficient voltage at lower rpm, but beginning to fire at higher rpm as the charging voltage increases.

Could also measure voltage across battery terminals with engine off, again at idle rpm (look for 12+ volts), and again at 3000 rpm (look for 14+ volts).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Aug 2008 07:12 by Patton.

More
29 Aug 2008 09:06 #234613 by kz44081
Thanx for the replys. I am getting spark through out the rpm range. So ill tear down the left carb again and see what that does.

More
16 Sep 2008 21:49 #237462 by kz44081
thanx everyone the bike runs better it was the pilot jet, cleaned it and runs on both cylinders at idle now. still have order intake boots and sync carbs but that should be it.it will be a while befor i can ride it seeing as i have a broke leg and 8-10 weeks off of it but that more time tuning it. but thanx again for the help.

More
17 Sep 2008 05:04 #237472 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 81 kz440ltd idle's on one cylinder. please help!!
Problem is the pilot jet. This was clear from your symptoms. The #35 Keihin pilot jet will have to be cleaned as there are no replacements. K&L sells a wire set for cleaning jets. I think www.z1enterprises.com can sell you one. The smallest wire will fit into the hole and that is about the only way to unplug and clean one of those pilot jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!