cam timing on 78 kz750

More
23 Aug 2008 17:12 #233630 by rctigers
cam timing on 78 kz750 was created by rctigers
I was checking the valve clearances on my 750 today. The clearances on 3 of the valves was 0.05. The 4 valve was
0.08. When I checked the timing on the cam chain related to the manual specs; the chain was set incorrectly according to the service manual. I repositioned the chain on the exhaust cam so that the raised arrow on the sprocket was on the 32nd pin from the starting pin on the other sprocket. After putting the motor back together; I tried to crank her up. I couldn't get it to start. Is it possible the cam timing has been changed other than what is specified in the service manual? If so, how can I get the timing right?

RC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2008 22:07 - 23 Aug 2008 22:16 #233677 by steell
Replied by steell on topic cam timing on 78 kz750
Was the T mark on the timing advancer lined up with the pointer when you did this?

Exactly how far did you rotate the cam?

What marks on the cam sprockets did you line up, and what did you line them up with?

I'm assuming that you know that when looking at the timing advancer, the crank rotates counter clockwise.

Did you have the tensioner removed when you did this?

You screwed up, possibly seriously, I'm just trying to determine how badly.

Rule Number One, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To get the timing right, you need to start all over from the beginning, put the T mark on the timing pointer, actually look down in the spark plug hole to verify that the piston is on TDC, then set the cams according to the manual, and finally, set the 32 pins. And make sure you use the right starting and ending pins.

That 32 pin figure is used because the upper cam chain slipper (mounted to the underside of the cam cover) pushes the cam chain down, so there has to be some slack in the chain between the cams to allow for this.

And when you do all this, pull the slack out of the intake side of the timing chain, not the exhaust side.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 23 Aug 2008 22:16 by steell.

More
24 Aug 2008 13:42 - 24 Aug 2008 13:45 #233764 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cam timing on 78 kz750
As mentioned, absolutely crucial to set the crankshaft to the "T" mark first.

The cam chain tensioner must be fully loosened.

Pull the chain taught coming up to the intake camshaft.

The arrow on the intake cam should point straight back (level with the top of the head).

The arrow on the exhaust cam must point straight forward (level with the head)

You have to count 32 cam chain link posts from the first post after the intake arrow to the "32" mark on the exhaust cams.

IMPORTANT: Even if the cams are properly aligned, you can turn the crankshaft one full revolution and the camshaft arrows will be pointing at each other as if they are set wrong (but they are not). The crankshaft turns two revolutions for each revolution of the camshafts so that can fool you.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 24 Aug 2008 13:45 by bountyhunter.

More
24 Aug 2008 18:12 #233804 by rctigers
Replied by rctigers on topic cam timing on 78 kz750
I got the timing set correctly. I started troubleshooting the timing after a problem developed a couple weeks ago. I was riding to work and motor lost power. Felt as though it was only running on 1 cylinder. It was hard to keep it running at idle. Got the bike back home. It has also developed a knocking noise. Seems to be coming from the head. Both cylinders are getting spark. After getting the timing chain set, I ran the motor and it seemed to have good power. Still have the knocking though. Anybody got any suggestions?

More
24 Aug 2008 22:25 #233841 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cam timing on 78 kz750

I was riding to work and motor lost power. Felt as though it was only running on 1 cylinder.

I would have guessed that was a carburetor problem,

It has also developed a knocking noise. Seems to be coming from the head.

Hmmm..... worst case, it's a rod bearing.

Could it be an exhaust leak? Those can make a "cracking" kind of sound.

1979 KZ-750 Twin