Tweet!

More
21 Aug 2008 10:39 #233283 by jokermtb
Tweet! was created by jokermtb
1984 gpz750: This year I've really been riding my gpz, after a two years of it just sitting there looking sad at me. But lately I've noticed something. When I really crack the whip, and the engine is pulling hard under load, I hear a "tweeting" noise from the engine - the engine runs fine while the tweet occurs, so I'm not sure if I'm hurting my engine or not. When I back off a bit, and let the engine pull thru the rpm range at a more leisurly rate - no tweeting.

My gpz has a stainless supertrapp header + muffler unit, K+N pod filters, and a stage 3 Dynojet kit. I've had the carbs recently cleaned/sync'd, and the oil is fresh. I've had the valves shimmed a couple thousand miles ago, and I also had the cam chain tensioner replaced a few years ago.

The only thing I can think of is that the valve train is a bit out of whack (almost no shops in Metro Detroit will even look at an old KZ engine)? Or, am I just hearing the sound of the engine coming back thru the carbs + pod filters?

Any of you guys ever hear the tweet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2008 10:52 #233285 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tweet!
Not on this configuration but a friend of mine years ago had a Norton Commando that would tweet when going down through the gears.

I'd check the tightness of the intake and exhaust system for things that move or vibrate out of place. Exhaust gaskets can compress causing loss of power and strange noises.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
21 Aug 2008 13:05 #233294 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Tweet!
I'd guess you have a tear in one of your pods, and when you pull a lot of air through it's whistling. If you have just let it sit without any maintenance you should know that oil-wetted filters (both foam and fabric) will disintegrate over time. Check your filters.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
21 Aug 2008 14:27 #233311 by jokermtb
Replied by jokermtb on topic Tweet!
Hmmmmm, interesting....this spring I cleaned and re-oiled the filters. Maybe I didn't wet a spot or two in the fabric waffle....

But, the tweeting is more high pitched metallic tweet, almost like a machine gun firing bb's at a frying pan, but very faint.....disappears when I back off the throttle a touch [lighten the load on the engine].

More
21 Aug 2008 16:37 #233333 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Tweet!
You sure your engine is just not pinging. What gas are you using? Have you pulled plugs to look at them? Adjusted the cam chain?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Aug 2008 16:46 #233337 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tweet!
Hope the sound is not "pinging" which is a dangerous condition due to detonation (aka premature combustion or pre-ignition). Often apparent from examination of spark plugs appearing "white-hot" or evidencing tiny aluminum "balls" or metal bits around the plug tip.

Can be caused by too high compression (perhaps from carbon build-up inside the combustion chamber), or wrong size spark plugs, or need for higher octane fuel, or incorrect ignition timing (perhaps too far advanced).

Pinging sound is usually heard when the engine is under load, and even at lower rpms.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Aug 2008 10:35 #233468 by jokermtb
Replied by jokermtb on topic Tweet!
I use premium fuel exclusively. I'll check the plugs this weekend!

More
22 Aug 2008 10:51 #233470 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Tweet!
You might want to use regular as these scoots prefer it!! ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"