Photo Details of Engine Assembly - Z1 or KZ900?

More
20 Aug 2008 18:44 - 20 Aug 2008 19:33 #233186 by Ilbikes
I've got a strange situation and I'm looking for some close-up, detailed photos of the engine assembly.

I removed my alternator cover from my KZ900 to have it polished. Now I've got oil inside that cover high enough to be seeping out of the wiring gromet. It's got me puzzled.

I measured my oil sight-glass with the bike on the centerstand - 13.5". I measured the rubber grommet on the alternator/starter clutch cover - 15.5". I would think any oil getting up on the alternator should easliy drain-back into the crankcase, right?

Now here is why I am really confused -
1) I used Motul synthetic 10/40 when I replaced the covers and gaskets - that oil is "red" - I mean blood red like auto-trans fluid.

2) I recently rebuilt my topend, had the heads mildly ported and cleaned-up, valve job, Swain Coatings piston treatment, new factory rings, stainless valves - during assembly, I used the new Kawasaki synthetic 10/40 - it's "Green" - I mean green like the old Prestone anti-freeze green.

What is dripping out is blood red. The sight glass and engine oil are green - 500 miles now since the rebuild and it's green. How is it that I've got at least 2" more oil in that cover than in the case, and how is it that the two aren't mixing? The drip is being supplied by the earlier red oil - over 500 miles ago.

Would apprecialte experienced inputs, please.

Thanks,
Gorodn
Last edit: 20 Aug 2008 19:33 by Ilbikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2008 19:32 #233196 by PLUMMEN
there is normally oil inside the cover,either the grommet for the wires is leaking or gaket is bad ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Aug 2008 07:28 #233256 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Photo Details of Engine Assembly - Z1 or KZ900?
The passage to drain the oil from the alternator cover may be obstructed, not allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. To keep oil from leaking out of the wiring plug, pull the cover, degrease the wires and plug. I use brake cleaner. Then coat the wires and plug, liberally, with Permatex number 2. It seems to hold up better than the silicone sealants. Reinstall with a new gasket. You should be good to go......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
21 Aug 2008 15:56 #233324 by Ilbikes
Chris, thanks for your reply. Your confirmation that there is a drain is exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping to see one in a detail photo someone probably has so I know where to look. I know there is supposed to be oil in the cover, but the fact it's not mixing and it's 2" over the other level was my confusion.

I've ordered a new wire and seal kit from Jim at Redline. Jim has alwasy been great to deal with for me.

Thanks again.
Gordon

More
21 Aug 2008 16:10 #233330 by RonKZ650
I don't think anyone really knows how this works. There is oil in the cover, where it comes from and where it escapes is unknown as far as I can surmise. If anyone knows take pictures and fill us in for future reference. You can drain your oil in the pan and I don't believe the oil in the cover will drain, so it's entirely possible old oil takes up residence in there never to escape. Fix the leak and you'll be OK.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Aug 2008 19:01 #233364 by Ilbikes
Ron, you will soon find out if there is a drain. As soon as the parts and gasket come in, I'll be removing the cover and installing all-new wiring and grommet. I'll also explore how that oil should escape - surely it was not intended to live 2" higher than the level. None of my Hondas do.

I'll post pics.

Regards,
Gordon