Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?

More
18 Aug 2008 22:37 #232831 by Justyn
Let me start by thanking everyone who has offered their opinion along the way. It's been invaluable along the way, as my Dad, whom I rely on for mechanical help when I'm unsure, knows as he puts it, "jack shit" about motorcycles. He's used to large diesel engines, found in construction/logging/mining equipment, but much more so, welding.

The other day, my exhaust broke, at what looks like a stock weld, between the left (sitting on the bike) header pipes, after they combine, and before the muffler. Like probably a half inch from where the actual muffler starts to cone out.

My question is, has anyone had experience or success welding these two pieces back together? I'm personally not great at welding, but my Dad is (been welding [not repetitive factory type] for a living for 20+ years), and he's going to help (do that part for me :)).

This may, or maybe should, branch off or be a double post in the carb section.

My other question is that if I were to cut both pipes off at that position, what would I have to do to the carbs to allow for basically no back pressure. That's really only a question if the welding doesn't work. I'm not looking to sink a pile of money into this machine, and what I've seen of new exhaust, it's a pile of money, in my book.

I'm not terribly concerned with sound, much more with efficiency and proper operation.

I'm about to edit my sig to say that it's not pretty, but it works. I'm basically trying to limp along a $50 bike as long as I can before it nickels, dimes, and Grants me to death. Don't get me wrong I love the bike, and the ride, but I'm pretty sure that is mostly because it's my first. Lets all look back to our first serious girlfriend, and I'm sure there's a certain sense of fondness/nostalgia there (all the bad shit aside, time heals all wounds ;)).

1980 750 LTD (kz750h) Wausau, WI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2008 04:07 #232847 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
That should be no problem to weld. Anyone with some experience should be able to fix it for you.

If i were you i would not cut the exhaust off, it would be incredibly loud and you would need to do some rejetting. I think you would be happier by having the pipe welded:)

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
19 Aug 2008 05:46 #232852 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
a good mig welder should slove that problem, just hope it is not rusted out and that is what caused the break

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
19 Aug 2008 08:10 - 19 Aug 2008 08:12 #232875 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
Yeah, could be rusted, but with a torch, some sheet metal and a hammer, you can patch just about anything and make it last a while longer.
But you wouldn't want to run it with just the collector pipe.
I'd take the bike down to a muffler shop and see if they can bend and tack something workable into place. Then take it home and weld it up and paint it black.
On ebay recently, I saw a header with a Cherrybomb muffler welded onto it.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 08:12 by riverroad.

More
19 Aug 2008 09:45 #232892 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
id find a piece of tubing with the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the broken pipes and use it to slug the pipes back together before welding it back together.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Aug 2008 11:18 #232913 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
I have a system I bought that has a crack in the same place. I was wondering if the chrome would affect any welding job? I suppose a good welding shop could tell me.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
19 Aug 2008 12:22 #232929 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
Coppertales, the chrome wouldn't hurt the weld, but the chrome will burn off near the weld, and will rust thereafter, unless you keep touching it up with high temp aluminum paint. It'll still never be as pretty as original.

More
20 Aug 2008 07:59 #233077 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Exhaust crack (complete break) welding?
Thanks....the crack is on the top so it would only be seen by me when I have the pipes off.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE