A few things loose in my head

More
17 Aug 2008 17:08 #232547 by 81KZ750H2
A few things loose in my head was created by 81KZ750H2
In my Kwacker the is a clunk sound in the head at idle, there is 2 things i can think of, 1. Slack timing chain, where as my bike has the Automatic cam chain testioner,which is known for sticking. would changing this to a APE manual one help?, 2. there is play between the valve tappets and the cam lobes, should there be valve shims installed to take out some of the play. the bike runs like a charm, it's only at idle that i can hear this noise and it drives me nutts.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2008 19:05 #232567 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic A few things loose in my head
If the engine gets really quiet have your valve clearance checked. Its normal to have some valve chatter but not bangs and clunks. Check with the tech tips about valve clearance and why you need to check them

Remove the automatic chain tensioner,clean it and look for binding parts. It is operated by oil pressure and any grit will cause things to stick.

A good solvent is kerosene as it has a high flash point and is not as toxic as gasoline. Use a small clean paint brush and rubber gloves in a well ventilated area.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Aug 2008 05:38 #232607 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic A few things loose in my head
in addition to a loose chain, if the carbs are out of sink it can cause some rattle noise form the top end

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob