Heli-coil Spark Plug hole question

More
17 Aug 2008 14:20 #232521 by Six9GS
Heli-coil Spark Plug hole question was created by Six9GS
Hey folks,
On my 78 KZ650, the #2 spark plug hole threads don't look too good. I may have to heli-coil it. Normally, this is a head off operation I would think. However, pulling the head is going to be a disassembly I really wish to avoid. Funds to replace all the gaskets and such that go along with it, plus the time, make this an difficult option to take.

So, I was thinking about another option and I thought I'd run it past you guys, since you are the real experts, and see if it's a reasonable idea.

I was thinking I could rotate the engine to where the #2 exhaust valve is open. Then, stick my air compressor hose up the muffler and bascially be blowing as much air as I can out the spark plug hole to help blow out any metal chips as I perform the heli-coil operation. Additionally, liberally grease up the tap and stuff to try and catch as many metal chips as possible.

Well, that's the idea. Any feedback on whether you think this would work sufficiently to keep enough chips out of the cylinder would be helpful. Or, any other experience proven ideas on how to heli-coil the spark plug hole without having to remove the head, without thrashing the cylinder in the process, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Aug 2008 14:42 #232527 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Heli-coil Spark Plug hole question
u can buy a kit at an auto suply store for this. it has a tap and an insert, not a coil. u just grease up the tap and thread it in by hand then u thread the insert in ,and u are done. now for the nitty gritty stuff. just turn the tap a little at a time then remove it, and remove all the metal filings from it then repeat till done.then u will have to chamfer the top of the hole so the insert, wich has a lip on top, will sit down flush on the head.some kits have a tool for this or u can turn a large drill bit by hand.then try to find someting u can put down the hole and remove the burr at the bottom, that is left by the tap exitting the bottom of the hole. now u clean the threads with brake cleaner or something, then loctite the incert into the hole with red or green,not blue.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
17 Aug 2008 14:47 - 17 Aug 2008 19:39 #232529 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Heli-coil Spark Plug hole question
I've come across a better solution if the head is not too boogered up. See this thread and then decide if it might work for you. In both of the bikes I used it on it was the easy answer.

Back Tap

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Last edit: 17 Aug 2008 19:39 by KZQ.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Aug 2008 19:19 #232571 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Heli-coil Spark Plug hole question
Good find Gringo

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)