1980 KZ650 Clutch wont pull in? And a kick start assembly question.

More
14 Aug 2008 21:03 #232085 by medina75
I am a new owner of a 1980 KZ650D and the bike has been running fine since I purchased it a month ago. Since I am learning to ride on the bike I may have gotten the clutch stuck? I was about to take it out today when I noticed my clutch wont pull in...I tried rocking it back and forth on 1st & neutral with no luck. Any help from you pros?

Also to remove my used kick start to apply a new one do I have to remove the the cover to have it slide out? I removed the kick start lever all that remains is the housing of the lever but I dont see a screw or mechanism to remove it

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2008 06:29 #232144 by rstnick
Welcome.

You may need a new clutch cable. Lubing yours could help.

Pull off the engine sproket cover. This is the large left rear cover on the side of the engine, behind where the gear shift lever mounts, and in which the clutch cable enters.
You have to remove the gear shift lever, foot peg on that side, and the chrome starter cover.
Then you can undo the 4 bolts that hold the sprocket cover on. Pull off the sproket cover.
With the cover off and hanging from the clutch cable, try pulling in the clutch lever.
Does it pull in?
If not, the cable needs lubing or a new cable. Also the ctuch actuating mechanism on the backside of the sprocket cover may need lubing/cleaning.

A manual will assist in all the maintenance items you need to do.

Check out this 650 specific site for more info:
www.kz650.info/ .

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
15 Aug 2008 06:44 #232147 by wiredgeorge
The kicker lever has a pinch bolt inserted through. Loosen and totally remove the bolt. Once the bolt is out, you can pry the lever off the splined shaft it rides on. The kicker WILL NOT come off if the bolt is still installed even very loose. You don't have to remove the kicker shaft cover.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 Aug 2008 11:56 #232196 by medina75
Thanks for the help fellas! Much appreciated!