uneven exhaust temps

More
13 Aug 2008 19:30 #231900 by gkn3529
uneven exhaust temps was created by gkn3529
My 1980 KZ1000E2 is running erratic and the #1 and #2 cylinders are running about 145 degrees and the #3 and #4 cylinders are about 260 degrees when measured at the exhaust pipe near the head. The ignition system is all good. I suspected carb problems so I swapped carbs and got the same result. I don't have that problem with the same carbs on my Z1, so I think I can rule out the carbs. I also swapped out the intake boots to rule out air leaks. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2008 19:38 - 13 Aug 2008 19:41 #231902 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic uneven exhaust temps
Would assure valve clearances are correct and perform compression test.

Adequate compression is one of the essentials for proper combustion.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Aug 2008 19:41 by Patton.

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
14 Aug 2008 09:22 #231980 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic uneven exhaust temps
Last night I pulled the exhaust off of my bike, it took about 3 hours begining to end, cleaned and inspeceted the pipes.

My purpose was to replace the copper ghaskets, because I had a leak in the exhaust at the head.

I used white greese to hold the ghaskets in the head until i got the pipes in place.

After i cleaned and completed the job I was happy with the results, much more pressure coming out of the muffler.

So maybe try pulling the pipes and check them out, replace the copper ghaskets $5.00 and see if that makes a difference.

It did on mine.

Matt

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
15 Aug 2008 15:05 #232226 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic uneven exhaust temps
try spraying WD40 around the intake boots and anywhere there is a posibility of an air leak, while running at idle.Lissten for a change in sound. i see u tried dif boots and carbs but its worth a try.also as Patton said ,check valve clearance.
how are u checking the temp?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
15 Aug 2008 17:04 #232242 by gkn3529
Replied by gkn3529 on topic uneven exhaust temps
I will re-check the valve adjustment, but it has only been about 500 mile since I adjusted them. I did the WD40 test before I swapped the boots (except I used starting fluid). I guess I should do it again. I think it is possible that I have some kind of exhaust obstruction. I will check everything this weekend and update the post. I used to check exhaust temps with the back of my fingers, but learned that it can hurt and isn't really accurate, so I bought a pyrometer.
I have actually had 3 sets of carbs on it(28mm stock, 28mm smoothbores, and 34mm CV) and got the same results with all of them. If I can get it figured out, I intend to leave the 34's on it.

More
15 Aug 2008 22:01 #232270 by jim_palmore
Replied by jim_palmore on topic uneven exhaust temps
I have a simular problem in that my left side is a lot hotter than my right.and it seems to take hours to cool off.
I replaced my petcock with a steel flange with a steel nipple welded to it.from that is a brass 90* that goes to the right side where my fuel filter is (so I can check when I'm low on fuel)then back across to a shutoff valve then down to the carb. I think I'm getting vapor lock because the fuel filter runs dry but the tank is full. so I plan to take some left over pipe wrap and make a sleeve to protect the fuel line.
so how do you tell if your air fuel mixture is correct???

ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Aug 2008 11:15 - 20 Aug 2008 11:39 #233118 by mark1122
jim_palmore wrote:

you would check the color on a new spark plug, for each system.
pilot at 1/8th throttle,
needle at mid throttle,
and mains at full throttle.
place tape around the twist throttle and mark off 1/8, 1/2 and full throttle slide openings.
warm up the motor and drive to test area, install 1 new spark plug in each of the 2 cyl's u want to compare.
then u must do a pass through the gears just using the system to be tested(1/8, 1/2, or full throttle). and turn off the ignition, pull in the clutch, stop and remove the plug .replace with a new 1 and repeat for the next system.
then u can do the same on the suspect cyl.

when u get home cut the threaded part off the plug and look for a tan colored ring at the base of the plugs insulator. dark brown, to black = rich. no color = lean.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 20 Aug 2008 11:39 by mark1122.

More
20 Aug 2008 12:54 #233130 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic uneven exhaust temps
Why cut the plug???, you can get a inexpensive lighted magnifying glass a 10x is all you need, go toany of the plug mfg sites and they have a section that shows what a proper plug reading should look like and also bad ones listing the conditions that cause the look.
to get the best results, install a new set and go for a ride at speed pull in the clutch and kill the motor, then read the plugs.

mark1122 wrote:

jim_palmore wrote:

you would check the color on a new spark plug, for each system.
pilot at 1/8th throttle,
needle at mid throttle,
and mains at full throttle.
place tape around the twist throttle and mark off 1/8, 1/2 and full throttle slide openings.
warm up the motor and drive to test area, install 1 new spark plug in each of the 2 cyl's u want to compare.
then u must do a pass through the gears just using the system to be tested(1/8, 1/2, or full throttle). and turn off the ignition, pull in the clutch, stop and remove the plug .replace with a new 1 and repeat for the next system.
then u can do the same on the suspect cyl.

when u get home cut the threaded part off the plug and look for a tan colored ring at the base of the plugs insulator. dark brown, to black = rich. no color = lean.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Aug 2008 14:13 #233498 by mark1122
I don’t have a light and its easy to cut them.I'm sure a light ,mag would be usefull. Just the way I do it.
U must make sure u only ride on the circuit u want to test. this assures u that u will get an accurate reading of ONLY that circuit, and not a blend of others.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)