1982 KZ750M CSR clutch cable crisis

More
11 Aug 2008 15:42 #231416 by brpinney
1982 KZ750M CSR clutch cable crisis was created by brpinney
I have had my bike for about two months and recently needed to replace the clutch cable as it broke. I took the old cable out and put the new one in. When i bolted everything back together and tightened the cable the clutch doesnt seem to be disengaging. I put a lot of tension on the cable at the clutch lever so i dont think that is the cause. I am thinking that there is something that i am neglecting to check when reassembling the components of the clutch. Has anyone performed this repair and have any useful hints. I would really appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2008 18:38 #231437 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1982 KZ750M CSR clutch cable crisis
1. Get the shop manual (if you have one).

2. Most new cables require lubrication to work properly,go to the store where you bought the cable and buy a cable lube kit(it has the lube plus a special clamp to apply the spray grease/oil.

3. The clutch adjustment on the engine must be done first before trying to take out the slack from the cable.

4. I have a 82 GPZ1100 and I don't think adjustments are much different.

5. Shorten the new cable by turning in all adjustment pieces on the clutch lever and cable.

6. Remove the small cover plate to allow access to the slotted screw for clutch play take up,I think it's a 12mm nut that must be loosened and the slotted screw turned clockwise untill it becomes hard to turn,and then back off 1/4 turn and the nut tightened.

7. Try the clutch again.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Aug 2008 19:06 #231448 by steve3408
Replied by steve3408 on topic 1982 KZ750M CSR clutch cable crisis
brpinney wrote:

I have had my bike for about two months and recently needed to replace the clutch cable as it broke. I took the old cable out and put the new one in. When i bolted everything back together and tightened the cable the clutch doesnt seem to be disengaging. I put a lot of tension on the cable at the clutch lever so i dont think that is the cause. I am thinking that there is something that i am neglecting to check when reassembling the components of the clutch. Has anyone performed this repair and have any useful hints. I would really appreciate it.

If your clutch cable broke up by the clutch handle,take the new cable and solder together the cable strands for about the first 2-3 inches from the handle end.This will strengthen the cable and make it last a whole lot longer.
Good luck

1980 KZ1000 A4(bought new),1979 KZ1000 MKII(bought new),1978 KZ1000 A (sold)1979 KZ1000 B LTD (sold)1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)1978 KZ750 twin (sold)