75 Z1B clearance between cam cover and cam lobe without a gasket

More
07 Aug 2008 14:47 #230692 by luc
After using a bunch of different gaskets, I still have some very slight oil seepage around the cam cover gasket.
Plan B is not to use any gasket but some high temp silicone RTV.
Do you think that i will have enough clearance, without the gasket thickness, between the cam lobes and the cam cover?.
I mesured it and it seems fine but i don't know how much things move/clearance change with a hot engine at high rpm's
Thanks
Luc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2008 17:29 #230717 by MFolks
RTV can make the next removal difficult. It acts like a bonding agent. Some people take a new gasket,spray it with the nonstick cooking oil (like Pam) and install the gasket.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
07 Aug 2008 18:03 #230730 by Royal1MC
Is it the gasket or end plugs on the heads?

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
08 Aug 2008 05:44 #230806 by FastKaw1
What Royal said.
I have used RTV on the head gasket. Worked well. BUT
I DID NOT apply and install. Lay gasket on flat surface and apply a thin coat
Very thin,,an let dry. (12 hr.) Turn it over. same as above.
Then installed. Fixed a small leak that would not seal.
The valve cover comes off with no peeling of gasket surface.
Worked for me any way.

XENU

More
08 Aug 2008 06:17 #230816 by wiredgeorge
He is talking about the valve cover gasket not the head gasket. RTV will make a mess and doesn't seem like a great idea. I suggest you get some NAPA gasket sealer... it comes in a can with a brush. Install your cam end plugs and then brush this stuff on the cylinder head gasket mating surface and lay a new gasket on it. This goop will keep the gasket in place and seal it and is easy to clean up unlike RTV which will get into your oil journals and cam wells in the head. The gasket sealer will also stop any leaks from having a somewhat uneven mating surface. DO NOT put it on the top side of the gasket that contacts valve cover. If the valve cover still leaks, you could then put the sealer on the valve cover and top part of the gasket. Use a torque wrench on the fasteners and torque to spec in the pattern that is recommended. In fact, I bet this is why your current gasket is leaking...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Aug 2008 08:09 #230829 by luc
some more info:

I have replaced the rubber end plugs by aluminum ones and they dont leak.
On all the gaskets that I have tried ( Kawasaki, after-market and cutting my own from some rubberized gasket material,etc)I always torqued the cam cover in the correct patern with the correct torque ( 100 inch/pound)but I still got some oil seepage.
On the factory gasket ,the oil seepage was from between the aluminum of the valve cover and the surface of the gasket. (as you know the factory gasket is made of a pretty hard material)
On the other gaskets, including the 2 that I did from gasket sheet/material, the seepage was from the material itself.
Those gaskets are made with a much softer material but the oil seems to "migrate" through the fibers of the gasket.
As a matter of fact, I did a test by cutting some pieces of the gasket materials,holding them vertically and putting an drop of oil at the bottom and after a few hours,the oil was completly absorbed by the material.
I went ahead and used RTV instead of a gasket and, so far, no more seepage.
I don't worry about the RTV going every where since I only applied a 1/16 diameter bead in the center of the flange and waited 24 hours to completly cure.
going back to my original question,do you thing that with a hot engine, at high rpm's i will have a clearance problem between the inside of the valve cover and the lobes of the cams?