I Have a couple of questions

More
07 Aug 2008 11:31 #230666 by Zacknhs
I Have a couple of questions was created by Zacknhs
First off i love this bike, 1978 KZ1000

The cable coming from the valve cover to the tack is leaking either from where the black part of the cable goes over the metal end or from where the nut tightens it down. i took it apart and cleaned it once and the seals looked ok. Would a new cable fix it or should i just glue the black rubber part to the metal?

Next is there anyone in the Columbus Ohio area that has a valve shim tool that i could borrow? my buddy has a 82 Yamaha seca 650 and the valve shims are the same size so we are going to split the cost of a shim kit. but i can't afford the nice shim tool at this time. I'm getting some pop back and back fires and i'm pretty sure the shims need adjusted then I'll do a carb sync and tune.

Thanks Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Go Bucks

1978 Kz1000 <- first bike and i love it!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2008 12:15 #230673 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic I Have a couple of questions
Your oil leak is coming from the tach drive unit. It sees alot of heat, and the o-rings get hard.
On the 900, the drive unit has two o-ring seals and another seal that has a metal sping-like thingy in it.
With new seals, the drive unit is almost impossible to install...lube the new o-rings well, and gradually work the unit into the hole. Wiggle, jiggle, and push it in, but don't tap on it with a hammer. That'll probably cut the o-ring.
Here's a picture of the unit and the seals (for 900, but I think your's is the same).

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Aug 2008 20:03 #230758 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic I Have a couple of questions
my 76 kz only has 1 oring. i just put some gasket silcone on it and it stopped leaking.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
08 Aug 2008 14:00 #230885 by Zacknhs
Replied by Zacknhs on topic I Have a couple of questions
Where would i get a new o-ring for this? I looked on z1 for it and couldn't find it.

Columbus, Ohio

Go Bucks

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Aug 2008 14:10 #230889 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic I Have a couple of questions
Zacknhs wrote:

Where would i get a new o-ring for this? I looked on z1 for it and couldn't find it.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1585

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Aug 2008 13:32 #231024 by Zacknhs
thanks for the link. i went to rice paddy, they wanted $35 for the oil seal kit. it included the metal nipple that seal the small oring and a paper gasket.

i also found out that the nut that holds the cable to the metal nipple is cracked in half. rice paddy didn't have any that they would let me have. so dose anyone know where to get that nut.

Columbus, Ohio

Go Bucks

More
09 Aug 2008 13:41 #231025 by Zacknhs
never mind i found what i needed i ordered a new cable and a seal. and i got the side cover gromets i needed any ways. thanks for the help.

Columbus, Ohio

Go Bucks