installed valve spring height

More
06 Aug 2008 00:20 - 06 Aug 2008 00:23 #230428 by 7zees
installed valve spring height was created by 7zees
I installed new valve guides in a z1 900 head, of course none of the valves or seats mated, off just enough to warrant valve job, or well cutting new seats, valves were new also. After cutting seats to where they mated properly with valves I sunk the valves into the head, using a guage I ground the stems down to the desired height. Now I am concerened about the installed height of the valve springs and how to measure this. worst part I did not keep tabs on how much I ground each valve stem. Can anyone help with this matter?
Last edit: 06 Aug 2008 00:23 by 7zees. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2008 12:09 - 06 Aug 2008 12:09 #230532 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic installed valve spring height
7zees wrote:

I installed new valve guides in a z1 900 head, of course none of the valves or seats mated, off just enough to warrant valve job, or well cutting new seats, valves were new also. After cutting seats to where they mated properly with valves I sunk the valves into the head, using a guage I ground the stems down to the desired height. Now I am concerened about the installed height of the valve springs and how to measure this. worst part I did not keep tabs on how much I ground each valve stem. Can anyone help with this matter?

There is a spec for that in the manual. On mine, the limit is no more than 0.3mm (about 0.012" ) may be cut off.

I don't know how to measure installed spring height. The spec for maximum end cut off the valve is there to make sure it doesn't get high enough to pop the keeper loose while running.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Aug 2008 12:09 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Aug 2008 21:16 - 06 Aug 2008 21:27 #230598 by 7zees
Replied by 7zees on topic installed valve spring height
hey thanks bountyhunter for the feedback. I was aware of the amount that could be ground off stems and I was careful not to get to close to the tops of the keepers {WHICH CAN ALSO CAN BE GROUND A BIT IF NEEDED}nothing less than .020 from stem tip to keeper top. I was told to go after seat pressure rather than installed height perhaps some one has s kawasaki{not clymer} shop manual with this info thanks
Last edit: 06 Aug 2008 21:27 by 7zees.

More
07 Aug 2008 05:25 #230626 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic installed valve spring height
you need to check both installed height and pressure, if you are using old springs they can be weak.
The installed height will lessen the overall spring pressure if it is too tall then the pressure will be low at the seat and open position

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Aug 2008 09:22 #230650 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic installed valve spring height
Shim the springs the same amount you had to grind off of the valve tips.

More
08 Aug 2008 06:42 #230819 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic installed valve spring height
BSKZ650... I don't think there is a spec for the Z1/KZ900 springs only the KZ1000 springs. I can't recall for sure but aren't one of these sets of springs different than the other; one may have to have the inner spring installed a certain way?

BSKZ650 wrote:

you need to check both installed height and pressure, if you are using old springs they can be weak.
The installed height will lessen the overall spring pressure if it is too tall then the pressure will be low at the seat and open position

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Aug 2008 07:25 #230824 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic installed valve spring height
George you are correct, the springs both inner and outer are installed with the tight coil down towards the head

wiredgeorge wrote:

BSKZ650... I don't think there is a spec for the Z1/KZ900 springs only the KZ1000 springs. I can't recall for sure but aren't one of these sets of springs different than the other; one may have to have the inner spring installed a certain way?

BSKZ650 wrote:

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob