neutral light

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Aug 2008 14:11 #230153 by mark1122
neutral light was created by mark1122
I just got my 76 kz900 running again after a trany swap, mk11 crank, and big block addition. The neutral light comes on in neutral and 2nd gear. How can that be? There is just 1 detent that can activate the neutral switch? What am I missing?:side:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2008 14:25 #230156 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic neutral light
Mark,doesn't that little plate with the detent adjust?
I remember having issues with mine.
I'm thinking you probably have it out of whack,and when you click into first,the light goes out,but then you shift back up into 2'nd,it's still catching a portion of that detent??
Make sense?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Aug 2008 14:51 #230157 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic neutral light
Its possible I guess.
There is 1 long pin and 5 short pins, so the end plate should only go on 1 way. I never took the plate off? I don’t think I did anyways. It would be hard to put it on wrong, but I’ve screwed things up before.:side:
The only way u can adjust the plate would be to remove it and rearrange the pins. the plate has a notch that fits over the long pin. So wherever the long pin is, is where it will contact the neutral switch? Could be any gear .
That wouldn’t explain it coming on in neutral and 2nd though ,Would it? There is only 1 high spot on the end plate to contact the neutral switch? So I don’t understand how I can touch it twice??

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
04 Aug 2008 16:05 #230171 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic neutral light
I just know that when I was in there(can't remember why though,it was a long time ago) I had to go back in to readjust something because my neutral light wouldn't work.
I DID manage to get it to work,but a few months later it quit again.
Haven't worried about it though.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
05 Aug 2008 06:12 #230267 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic neutral light
If you look at the external shift mechanism, the shift drum has only one longer pin for the neutral position and the round plate that goes over it has a detent to accomodate the longer pin. Put the bike in neutral and the longer pin/detent should be at 8 oclock. If the plate doesn't have a special washer; the kind that has fluting on the ends, then you MUST loctite the bolt that holds it. Could be your plate is slipping and somehow allowing contact in the wrong position. Also, check the position of the neutral pin/detent.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Aug 2008 14:58 #230353 by mark1122
I thought i did all that ? But u never know i could have missed something. just cans see why it would activate it 2 spots?
I'll just have to take it apart and see.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Aug 2008 06:09 #230458 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic neutral light
If the single slotted screw that holds the round thing is loose, it could be sliding a bit and touching the pin for 2nd gear if it is a bit bent I guess. The factory manual says to loctite the screw if no fluted washer is installed.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Aug 2008 20:05 #230586 by mark1122
im sure i used loctite.i just love that stuff. but maybe i forgot that 1? anyways i'll take it apart soon. i will put a few miles on it then do an oil change, and take off the trany door then.

How many miles do u guys like to run on a fresh build befor the fist oil change?

Thanks for the help Guys.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)