strange acting kz750

More
29 Jul 2008 16:34 #228985 by mattylight
strange acting kz750 was created by mattylight
So I just completed the bike, and I rode about 100 miles in the last day since I finished. Tonight it was riding fine, I stopped at the store, and when I came back out and started it is when the trouble started. The bike would fire up, but then die. I couldn't get it to idle at all, and wound up using the choke to kinda set it at idle, but it would just die. I had to get it home somehow, so I rode it. It would run at about half power then suddenly burst to full power intermittantly. If I let the RPMs drop at all it would die. When I would stop I had to stay on the gas to keep the motor running, and would frequently stall. It only got worse and worse the whole way home (which was a short distance <5 miles). It was barely rideable by the time I got to my house, surging forward, and all. The symptoms sound like a vacume leak somewhere, and a bad one, but I don't really know where to start, any ideas??
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2008 16:57 #228990 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic strange acting kz750
Hey Matt clean the carbs! Advice from a fellow Matt!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
29 Jul 2008 17:00 #228991 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic strange acting kz750
Sounds to me like you got low on gas (100 mi). Is there any crud in the tank. Are you running fuel filters. Maybe water in the gas?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
30 Jul 2008 11:12 #229159 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic strange acting kz750
Fuel is a good possibility.

For me, it was electrical. I had jerky power below 3000rpm, above this, it would kick in and run great. Went through this last year, following the link and see if this is what's up with your bike.

KZ Idle Trouble

Good luck.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
31 Jul 2008 06:48 #229325 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic strange acting kz750
well, the carbs are clean...and I had fuel...and I run a fuel filter..and the wiring is completely new...but I did all these things myself, so I trust very little of the work, lol. Actually it worked fine the next time I fired it up and has ever since. SO I don't know what the problem was, but it was strange. Thanks for the advice.
Matt

More
31 Jul 2008 16:22 #229431 by Philip Meaney
Replied by Philip Meaney on topic strange acting kz750
My 80 LTD H (4 cyl) gave me the very same symptoms. Turned out I had a bad wire to one of my coils. Figured the problem out by:
1. touching exhaust (carefully) to note that a pair (either 1&4 or 2&3) weren't as hot as the others

2. pulling plug wires and finding no change in rpm. (again, if it's a coil, you will have the same symptom from two of the cylinders).

Once you figure out which coil (assuming it's fire and not fuel) you only need to trace back the 2 wires and of course check that the coil is fine (manual lists a check)

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750